Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default open PDF then convert to WORD

Folks:

Just taking a look at Word 2007. Here is the question concerning PDF format.

* Can Word 2007 be used to open a PDF then convert that PDF to a Word
file ?

Thanks,
Jo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

No. What's more, it is being taken out of Office 2007 and will be a separate
add-in that registered users may download. (this is some stupid quibble by
Adobe).

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

JoJo wrote in message ...
: Folks:
:
:
: Just taking a look at Word 2007. Here is the question concerning PDF
format.
:
: * Can Word 2007 be used to open a PDF then convert that PDF to a Word
: file ?
:
:
:
:
: Thanks,
: Jo.
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

How to copy text and graphics from Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212318/en-us

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

JoJo wrote in message ...
Folks:

Just taking a look at Word 2007. Here is the question concerning PDF
format.

* Can Word 2007 be used to open a PDF then convert that PDF to a Word
file ?

Thanks,
Jo.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ian R Ian R is offline

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
No. What's more, it is being taken out of Office 2007 and will be a
separate
add-in that registered users may download. (this is some stupid quibble by
Adobe).

Yes, incredible that almost every program I have has an option to
save/export to PDF.

Yet Adobe seem to take exception to MS doing this (albeit so late in the
game when other software has had this option for years!)

Must be due to historical bad blood between MS & Adobe?

Or could it be something to do with MS wanting to develope/promote their own
format to compete with/usurp PDF??

Hmmm.

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Really? What are they? Very few applications (not produced by Adobe) I have
come across have this available. The only one I have that will do so is
SnagIt 8. Though of course once you have Acrobat or a third party driver
such as that installed by SnagIt, you can produce PDF files from any
application you can print from.

Reading Acrobat files to successfully produce Word editable files is the
prerogative of very few OCR applications and OCR like conversion tools.

Ian R wrote:
"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
No. What's more, it is being taken out of Office 2007 and will be a
separate
add-in that registered users may download. (this is some stupid
quibble by Adobe).

Yes, incredible that almost every program I have has an option to
save/export to PDF.

Yet Adobe seem to take exception to MS doing this (albeit so late in
the game when other software has had this option for years!)

Must be due to historical bad blood between MS & Adobe?

Or could it be something to do with MS wanting to develope/promote
their own format to compete with/usurp PDF??

Hmmm.

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Broderbund software has it too.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
WordPerfect does it, I believe, as well as MacOS.

so
all may benefit.

Ian R wrote:
"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
No. What's more, it is being taken out of Office 2007 and will be a
separate
add-in that registered users may download. (this is some stupid
quibble by Adobe).

Yes, incredible that almost every program I have has an option to
save/export to PDF.

Yet Adobe seem to take exception to MS doing this (albeit so late in
the game when other software has had this option for years!)

Must be due to historical bad blood between MS & Adobe?

Or could it be something to do with MS wanting to develope/promote
their own format to compete with/usurp PDF??

Hmmm.

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ian R Ian R is offline

Ian R wrote:
"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
No. What's more, it is being taken out of Office 2007 and will be a
separate
add-in that registered users may download. (this is some stupid
quibble by Adobe).

Yes, incredible that almost every program I have has an option to
save/export to PDF.

Yet Adobe seem to take exception to MS doing this (albeit so late in
the game when other software has had this option for years!)

Must be due to historical bad blood between MS & Adobe?

Or could it be something to do with MS wanting to develope/promote
their own format to compete with/usurp PDF??

Hmmm.

Ian

Well actually on second thoughts perhaps youre right... I use Corel Draw and
Corel Photo Paint rather a lot and both have a built in save or export to
PDF. I also have a 3rd party PDF Creator which I can print to and get PDF's
from all my other apps. So in hindsight I really only have two apps which
save to PDF. However the 3 latter paragraphs in my previous post are IMHO
relevant.

Ian I^)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ian R wrote:
Must be due to historical bad blood between MS & Adobe?

Or could it be something to do with MS wanting to develope/promote
their own format to compete with/usurp PDF??

However the 3 latter
paragraphs in my previous post are IMHO relevant.

Ian I^)

I suspect that it has more to do with Adobe not wanting the major Word
processing player in the corporate arena making one of their key software
products largely redundant. Many corporates would not use cheap third party
tools to create PDFs, preferring to use industry standards. However, I
suspect it will be a while before the corporate buyers take up Office 2007,
because their training overhead will be huge.

I have not heard of Microsoft wanting to replace the PDF format with one of
its own - but you never know - however if Microsoft were to do that, we
might get rid of Adobe's dreadful programming of Word add-ins for their
product.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I did read somewhere that there was very bad feeling between Microsoft and
Adobe some time ago and that MS actively set out to impede Adobe's PDF, but
that/I may be wrong.