Jonathan Stratford

Default TOC starts behaving strangely

Hi,
I have a TOC field which is defined as follows:

TOC \o "1-5" \h \z \u

It used to work fine (this is in a very long document) and would display the
first 5 headings, but now it has started to display some of the figure
captions and subheadings, even though the formatting for these has not been
touched and are unchanged. This seems to occur on both Office XP and 2003

Does anyone have any suggestions as the cause and solution?

Many thanks,

Jonathan Stratford
Anne Troy

Hi, Jonathan. I have NEVER seen this happen. I can only suggest that you
double-check the styles on these captions, figures, and subheadings again to
make sure they do NOT use Headings 1 through 5.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Jonathan Stratford" wrote in
message ...
Hi,
I have a TOC field which is defined as follows:

TOC \o "1-5" \h \z \u

It used to work fine (this is in a very long document) and would display

the
first 5 headings, but now it has started to display some of the figure
captions and subheadings, even though the formatting for these has not

been
touched and are unchanged. This seems to occur on both Office XP and 2003

Does anyone have any suggestions as the cause and solution?

Many thanks,

Jonathan Stratford

Jonathan Stratford

I have checked them, and they exactly as they should be, NOT using headings
1-5. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Jonathan Stratford

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Check the figure captions and subheadings in question to make sure the
paragraphs haven't acquired an outline level of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

"Jonathan Stratford" wrote in
message ...
Hi,
I have a TOC field which is defined as follows:

TOC \o "1-5" \h \z \u

It used to work fine (this is in a very long document) and would display

the
first 5 headings, but now it has started to display some of the figure
captions and subheadings, even though the formatting for these has not

been
touched and are unchanged. This seems to occur on both Office XP and 2003

Does anyone have any suggestions as the cause and solution?

Many thanks,

Jonathan Stratford

I didn't say that they were Heading 1-5. I said check the outline level: go
to Format | Paragraph, look in the top right corner, and make sure that the
outline level is Body Text. Alternatively, open the Options in the TOC
dialog and make sure that there is not a number (1-5) beside the styles
being used for the captions.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Check the figure captions and subheadings in question to make sure the
paragraphs haven't acquired an outline level of 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jonathan Stratford" wrote

in
message ...
Hi,
I have a TOC field which is defined as follows:

TOC \o "1-5" \h \z \u

It used to work fine (this is in a very long document) and would

display
the
first 5 headings, but now it has started to display some of the figure
captions and subheadings, even though the formatting for these has not

been
touched and are unchanged. This seems to occur on both Office XP and

2003

Does anyone have any suggestions as the cause and solution?

Many thanks,

Jonathan Stratford

Jonathan Stratford

Thanks, that's what the problem was!