rmellison

Default Converting all objects in a document to JPEGS

I have a document with a lot of Excel charts inserted into it, as objects.
Obviously this takes up a whole load of memory, so I want to know if there is
a way of saving the entire object with all the objects saved as pictures? The
only way I know at the moment would be to save each chart individually as a
JPEG, then re-insert in the correct place, which would take an age to
complete!

Any help would be much appreciated!

rmellison

Thanks to both for the advice.

Suzanne, I looked at the link you suggested, but my version of Word (2000,
SP3) does not seem to have the 'Web Options' option on the tools toolbar. Is
there an add-in or similar that I need to get hold of from somewhere?

Many thanks.

"rmellison" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of Excel charts inserted into it, as objects.
Obviously this takes up a whole load of memory, so I want to know if there

is
a way of saving the entire object with all the objects saved as pictures?

The
only way I know at the moment would be to save each chart individually as

JPEG, then re-insert in the correct place, which would take an age to
complete!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Word 2000 will have different controls, and you may not be able to specify
the picture resolution, but you can still force Word to extract the graphic
by saving as a Web page.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"rmellison" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of Excel charts inserted into it, as

objects.
Obviously this takes up a whole load of memory, so I want to know if

there
is
a way of saving the entire object with all the objects saved as

pictures?
The
only way I know at the moment would be to save each chart individually

as
JPEG, then re-insert in the correct place, which would take an age to
complete!

Any help would be much appreciated!

rmellison

Another question, along the same lines....

I've been happily using the 'Save as web page' feature to convert my objects
to GIFs, but saving it this way includes a folder with my document files in
it. What I really want to be able to do is to convert the whole thing to a
Word document containing GIFs or JPEGS, so the file is a lot smaller and
doesn't have an associated folder. Is there any quick way of doing this? Can
you convert an HTML doc into a Word DOC but saving my charts as pictures not
objects??

Many thanks again.

"rmellison" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of Excel charts inserted into it, as

objects.
Obviously this takes up a whole load of memory, so I want to know if

there
is
a way of saving the entire object with all the objects saved as

pictures?
The
only way I know at the moment would be to save each chart individually

as
JPEG, then re-insert in the correct place, which would take an age to
complete!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Graham Mayor

What you want to do is not possible. You can extract the images from the
document using the method discussed, but if you want to put them back as
links, you need to replace the images in the original document with links to
the extracted images.

What's the point of this? Even if you were communicating the document to
others they would still have to have the linked images. The amount of disc
space freed would be minimal. Word can work with huge documents, why not let
it?

"rmellison" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of Excel charts inserted into it, as
objects. Obviously this takes up a whole load of memory, so I
want to know if there is a way of saving the entire object with
all the objects saved as pictures? The only way I know at the
moment would be to save each chart individually as a JPEG, then
re-insert in the correct place, which would take an age to
complete!

Any help would be much appreciated!

rmellison

The point of this is two fold.

1. Most of my objects are excel charts. When I copy them into Word more
often than not the formatting changes, and I find its useful to edit them
whist in Word to get the required formatting (font size etc). Once editted in
word, I want to be able to convert them to JPEGS or GIFS to prevent further
editting and to reduce the size of the document.

2. My issue is not with Word's ability to handle large files, but I do need
to be able to communicate this file back and forth between different PCs via
removable storage and email. I find it easier and much quicker to do this
with a smaller file, although thats probably down to the hardware I'm using.

If there is no way of doing it, then I'll carry on using the HTML method,
although that still leaves me with a pretty large folder for linked files,
which I was hoping to be able to avoid. I guess I'll have to grin and bare it!

All the same, thanks for your advice.

"rmellison" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of Excel charts inserted into it, as
objects. Obviously this takes up a whole load of memory, so I
want to know if there is a way of saving the entire object with
all the objects saved as pictures? The only way I know at the
moment would be to save each chart individually as a JPEG, then
re-insert in the correct place, which would take an age to
complete!

Any help would be much appreciated!

If you've inserted charts as OLE objects, you can unlink them (embed them in
the document and thereby reduce size) using Ctrl+Shift+F9. Or you can copy
and paste back using Paste Special as Picture.

"rmellison" wrote in message
I have a document with a lot of Excel charts inserted into it, as
objects. Obviously this takes up a whole load of memory, so I
want to know if there is a way of saving the entire object with
all the objects saved as pictures? The only way I know at the
moment would be to save each chart individually as a JPEG, then
re-insert in the correct place, which would take an age to
complete!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Word 2003 [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 39 April 19th 06 06:35 PM
macros and SharePoint WSS document libraries [email protected] New Users 0 October 6th 05 03:42 AM
inserting a word document Penny Microsoft Word Help 4 September 14th 05 11:36 AM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Can you save individual document pages as seperate word files? John Calligy Mailmerge 2 April 12th 05 09:14 AM