Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
73MGBGT

Default How can I do columns in a text box?

I have Windows 2000. I blocked column text and converted to text box to have
flexibility in moving/adjusting location of box. I cannot get columns in
text box. How can this be done? I need two columns.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Word's column feature does not work within a text box. You don't say which
version of Word you're using (Windows and Word are *not* the same thing),
but later versions of Word support floating tables that can be moved much as
pictures and text boxes. By using a two column table, you might be able to
get what you want. Or, if you need text to flow from one column to the
other, you might use two text boxes side by size, and use the link tool to
cause text to flow from one text box into the other.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"73MGBGT" wrote in message
I have Windows 2000. I blocked column text and converted to text box to
have
flexibility in moving/adjusting location of box. I cannot get columns in
text box. How can this be done? I need two columns.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:40:02 -0800, "73MGBGT"
wrote:

I have Windows 2000. I blocked column text and converted to text box to have
flexibility in moving/adjusting location of box. I cannot get columns in
text box. How can this be done? I need two columns.

Word doesn't support multiple column text inside text boxes or frames.

As a workaround, make two text boxes positioned side by side. With the
cursor in the first box, click the Create Text Box Link button on the
Text Box toolbar, then click inside the second text box. That makes
text "flow" from the first box to the second box automatically. Format
each box with No Line so it isn't obvious that they're separate.

A less desirable workaround is to place a two-cell table inside a text
box. You'd have to move overflow text manually from the first cell to
the second cell. This might be feasible if the text would never be
edited afterward.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How can I do columns in a text box?

Here's how you can create columns in a text box in Microsoft Word:
  1. First, create a text box by going to the Insert tab and selecting Text Box from the Text group. Choose the type of text box you want to use.
  2. Once you have your text box, click inside it to activate it.
  3. Next, go to the Layout tab that appears when you have the text box selected.
  4. In the Page Setup group, click on the Columns button.
  5. In the Columns dialog box, select Two under Presets to create two columns.
  6. You can also adjust the width and spacing of the columns using the options in the Width and Spacing sections.
  7. Click OK to apply the columns to your text box.

That's it! You should now have a text box with two columns. You can add text to each column by clicking inside the column and typing. You can also adjust the size and position of the text box by clicking and dragging the edges or corners of the box.