Carol

Default Change Line Count to not count blank lines

I do typing work for various companies and doctors. As many companies like
to pay by the number of lines, (and they don't want to pay for blank lines),
I need to be able to calculate this. As far as I know, MS Word includes the
blank lines in the line count and there is no way to change this to make it
add up only the lines which actually have words on them. Am I correct? If
there is a way to make it count only the lines with words, and not blank
lines, I would really appreciate it if someone would let me know. Otherwise,
I am forced to do this manually, which cuts into my time, productivity, and
ultimately income.
Greg Maxey

Carol,

You are just the type of person that I posted this article on my website
for:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Count_Lines_of_Text.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Carol wrote:
I do typing work for various companies and doctors. As many
companies like to pay by the number of lines, (and they don't want to
pay for blank lines), I need to be able to calculate this. As far as
I know, MS Word includes the blank lines in the line count and there
is no way to change this to make it add up only the lines which
actually have words on them. Am I correct? If there is a way to
make it count only the lines with words, and not blank lines, I would
really appreciate it if someone would let me know. Otherwise, I am
forced to do this manually, which cuts into my time, productivity,
and ultimately income.

Martin P

Blank lines are mostly due to extra paragraph marks (hard returns). Go to
Edit Replace and keep on replacing paragraph mark paragraph mark (^p^p) with
paragraph mark (^p) until that message tells you 1 replacement has been made.
Then do the counting.

"Carol" wrote:

I do typing work for various companies and doctors. As many companies like
to pay by the number of lines, (and they don't want to pay for blank lines),
I need to be able to calculate this. As far as I know, MS Word includes the
blank lines in the line count and there is no way to change this to make it
add up only the lines which actually have words on them. Am I correct? If
there is a way to make it count only the lines with words, and not blank
lines, I would really appreciate it if someone would let me know. Otherwise,
I am forced to do this manually, which cuts into my time, productivity, and
ultimately income.

Martin P

Improvement on my own post:

A better way of removing unnecessary paragraph marks is to enabel Wildcards
and replace [^13]{1,} with ^p.

"Carol" wrote:

I do typing work for various companies and doctors. As many companies like
to pay by the number of lines, (and they don't want to pay for blank lines),
I need to be able to calculate this. As far as I know, MS Word includes the
blank lines in the line count and there is no way to change this to make it
add up only the lines which actually have words on them. Am I correct? If
there is a way to make it count only the lines with words, and not blank
lines, I would really appreciate it if someone would let me know. Otherwise,
I am forced to do this manually, which cuts into my time, productivity, and
ultimately income.

Greg Maxey

Martin,

Why is it better to replace every paragraph mark [^13]{1,} with a paragraph
mark ^p rather than any series of two or more paragraph marks [^13]{2,} with
a paragraph mark ^p as I originally suggested in my web article?