Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] hrmalik@gmail.com is offline

Default How to link images to an HTML page created

Hi,

When creating HTML pages using Microsoft Word, the program creates a
content folder to maintain all the images and other files used in the
Web page. How can I alter this default behavior and configure Word to
not to create a contents directory and link to the images and other
content files from their original location.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] hrmalik@gmail.com is offline

My Word stops responding when I try to link an image doing the
following;

- Click Insert - Object
- In the "Create from File" tab, click Browse and specify the file to
link.
- Select Link to file
- Click OK.

Am I doing it right?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

When creating HTML pages using Microsoft Word, the program creates a
content folder to maintain all the images and other files used in the
Web page. How can I alter this default behavior and configure Word to
not to create a contents directory and link to the images and other
content files from their original location.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Hrmalik,

Genearlly the base choice to insert picture links would be to use
Insert=Picture from File
rather than
Insert=Objects.

On the Insert=Picture dialog after selecting the picture, when you get to the
[Insert|v]
button, click on that dropdown arrow to choose link to file. If the images are already on your website then you can paste the URL
for the graphic into the Insert=Picture dialog.

Note that if the graphic is something other than GIF or JPEG or if you modify the size, shape (cropping) etc of the graphic in Word
once you've inserted it Word assumes that it's not the original picture you want for a web page but a modified one you're creating
just for this document.

If you're using File=Save as Web page, then Word keeps, in that support folder you mentioned in your original posting, a copy of
both the 'custom' graphic for use in a browser and the original graphic so that when you reopen the Word web document (.htm, .html
or .mht) you will also have restored the full original .doc working capability (including parts that browsers do not support).

If you use File=Save as web page-filtered, then Word won't hang on to as much for 'reuse' later, but in both Web document save
choices it does look at the settings in
Tools=Options=General=[Web Options]

Does Word still hang when you use Insert=Picture rather than Insert=Object?

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP