Bobby

Default Template to convert outline to book?

I'm writing a book using Word's outlining facility.

Obviously, it looks horrible in outline view.

Can anyone recommend a nice template that I can use to make the outline look
like a book?

How do I do this? How do I apply a template to an outline?

Cheers.

Bobby

Daiya Mitchell

Presumably, since you are still working on the outline, no one else is
reading this book. Therefore, all that matters at this point is whether the
font is a comfortable one for you to look at on screen. When you actually
have a book that someone might read, you can mess about with the appearance.

Then you will apply a template to the entire document, not to an Outline.
There is no such thing as a separate outline in this document. It is not an
independent outlining facility. It is simply a different way of looking at
the text in your document, with some pre-defined commands that make the
necessary formatting easier. It will never look all that nice, because it
isn't designed to be a final product, merely to make the process of creation
a bit simpler.

Somewhere on the Outlining toolbar, there should be an icon that toggles
between formatted headings and plain-text headings, if that helps. It still
won't look very nice, though. You can modify the heading styles to suit the
appearance you want.
http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/ModifyAStyle.html

About all a "template for a book" would do for you would be to suggest a
couple of fonts. Most other elements are either pre-defined in any Word
document, or dependent on your choice and what you intend to do with the
book. However, nearly everything a template might provide is usually going
to be determined by the eventual publisher.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/