Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Matt Matt is offline

Default how do I change "show heading" button in outline toolbar?

My outline toolbar has a single "show heading" button. I saw a picture of
someone's outline toolbar that had 8 show heading buttons (numbered 1-7 with
the eighth one labeled "all"). See link below for this pictu

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/usingolview.htm

Can anyone please tell me how to make my outline toolbar mimic the one I saw
at the above website? I am using Word 2003 (service pack3) on Windows XP
(service pack 2).

I am sorry to bother you over something so trivial, but the
obsessive-compulsive little troll in the back of my mind wont let me work on
my paper until this problem is solved. I would greatly appreciate any help
that can be offered.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

That article was written (I'm guessing) for Word 2000 (which is the version
Dave was using when he wrote most of his articles). It's possible that the
Outlining toolbar in that version actually had all those buttons, or perhaps
Dave had customized it. My Word 2003 toolbar is straight out of the box
AFAIK (using all the buttons available to it), and it doesn't have those
level buttons. I'm guessing the Show Level dropdown replaced them.

"Matt" wrote in message
My outline toolbar has a single "show heading" button. I saw a picture of
someone's outline toolbar that had 8 show heading buttons (numbered 1-7
with
the eighth one labeled "all"). See link below for this pictu

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/usingolview.htm

Can anyone please tell me how to make my outline toolbar mimic the one I
saw
at the above website? I am using Word 2003 (service pack3) on Windows XP
(service pack 2).

I am sorry to bother you over something so trivial, but the
obsessive-compulsive little troll in the back of my mind wont let me work
on
my paper until this problem is solved. I would greatly appreciate any
help
that can be offered.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As Suzanne points out, those buttons do not show up by default in Word 2003.
However, it's fairly easy to add them using Tools - Customize - Commands.
Set Categories to All Commands, and under Commands, look for ShowHeading1
through ShowHeading9. Drag them to the Outlining toolbar to the desired
location. I just did it, and it took less than a minute.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Matt" wrote in message
My outline toolbar has a single "show heading" button. I saw a picture of
someone's outline toolbar that had 8 show heading buttons (numbered 1-7
with
the eighth one labeled "all"). See link below for this pictu

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/usingolview.htm

Can anyone please tell me how to make my outline toolbar mimic the one I
saw
at the above website? I am using Word 2003 (service pack3) on Windows XP
(service pack 2).

I am sorry to bother you over something so trivial, but the
obsessive-compulsive little troll in the back of my mind wont let me work
on
my paper until this problem is solved. I would greatly appreciate any
help
that can be offered.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Can't think why anyone would want to clutter the toolbar with ugly buttons
that just replicate the function of the dropdown. It's not as if you could
show levels selectively: that is, you can't select, say, Levels 1, 3, and 6
to display. If you display Level 6, you're showing all the levels above it
as well.

"Matt" wrote in message
My outline toolbar has a single "show heading" button. I saw a picture
of
someone's outline toolbar that had 8 show heading buttons (numbered 1-7
with
the eighth one labeled "all"). See link below for this pictu

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/usingolview.htm

Can anyone please tell me how to make my outline toolbar mimic the one I
saw
at the above website? I am using Word 2003 (service pack3) on Windows XP
(service pack 2).

I am sorry to bother you over something so trivial, but the
obsessive-compulsive little troll in the back of my mind wont let me work
on
my paper until this problem is solved. I would greatly appreciate any
help
that can be offered.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I much prefer the keyboard shortcuts, myself. Alt+Shift+2, for example,
focuses on level 2 and above.

However, having had some severe repetitive motion wrist issues, I know that
fellow sufferers often hate dropdowns. They can literally be a pain to deal
with. Having clear, just-click-here buttons saves a lot of pain. And, since
they're visually right there in front of you, you don't have to think
"Now... where are they?" There's a lot to be said for "Right there where you
can see them". In any event, since Matt asked, I thought I'd show him how to
get the back. Actually, I don't find them ugly or cluttery. And the fact
that they're numbers rather than obscure icons makes it clear what they are
(to me, anyway). Besides, I have a very hard time clicking on the dropdown
arrow... it's a smaller target than the numbers.

--

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Matt Matt is offline

I just wanted to thank everyone for thier responses. With everyones helpl I
was able to customize my toolbar just as I had hoped. Drop-down menus
generally make more sense to me, but sometimes I find that they add an extra
step to the process which sometimes throws off my train of thought. Since I
have the memory of a goldfish and the attention span of a... hey look a shiny
thing!- boy I love shiny things, even more than jingly things and dangly
things...

Cheers,
Matt