Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darius

Default Line number

I recieved a word file from a friend, I tried to put line number to this text
file but could not, later on I asked him do it himself, he did and send back
the file again I cannot see the line number. I tried again, Filepage
setup layoutline number
everything has been ticked as I want to put line number but still there is
no line number. My friend says he can see the line number on his computer but
I cannot see it on mine. Can anybody help what to do?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Are you working in Normal view? If yes, then switch to Print
Layout view, because line numbers are not visible in Normal view.

Darius wrote:

I recieved a word file from a friend, I tried to put line number to this text
file but could not, later on I asked him do it himself, he did and send back
the file again I cannot see the line number. I tried again, Filepage
setup layoutline number
everything has been ticked as I want to put line number but still there is
no line number. My friend says he can see the line number on his computer but
I cannot see it on mine. Can anybody help what to do?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Darius

Nope it is not checked
To see if it makes any sense to find the problem. The text in english but it
was produced in an environemnt in the word which supports languages which can
write from right to left.
OS at first when I add line number it keep stayed on Right side and I could
not drop it to left side so I askd him (the writer) to add line number and I
cannot see them, however I can see same time line numebr in my other text
files that I write here by my own word.

Darius wrote:

I recieved a word file from a friend, I tried to put line number to

this text
file but could not, later on I asked him do it himself, he did and

send back
the file again I cannot see the line number. I tried again, Filepage
setup layoutline number
everything has been ticked as I want to put line number but still

there is
no line number. My friend says he can see the line number on his

computer but
I cannot see it on mine. Can anybody help what to do?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

The formatting of line numbers is controlled by the Line Number
character style. If this style has been formatted as hidden, that
would explain why you can't see the line numbers. Remove the hidden
attribute manually from the style.

Alternatively, try the following steps: Activate the problem document.
Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to open
the Immediate Window. In that window, type

ActiveDocument.Styles(wdStyleLineNumber).Font.Hidd en = False

and press Enter. Then close the Visual Basic Editor.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Check the paragraph formatting (Format | Paragraph | Line and Page

Breaks)
to make sure that "Suppress line numbers" is not checked.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.