Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liz Liz is offline

Default Doc Not Updating when Attached to Templates and Add-Ins

In Word 2003 I am unable to update the styles in a doc with the Tools /
Templates and Add-Ins feature. I do tick the "Automatically update document
styles" box.

I know I can update the styles through the Organizer.

The problem is that I have been asked to test a macro written by a visual
basic coder. The code uses the Templates and Add-Ins feature to update the
styles. When I run the macro the styles are not updated. I thought at first
it was an issue with the macro; however, use of the Templates and Add-Ins
feature does not work manually either. Other users within our group do not
have this issue as the styles do load.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When Word does not behave as expected, the usual causes are a) corrupted
Normal.dot, b) corrupted registry entries, and c) misbehaving add-in.

To test to see if these are the likely causes, try starting Word with the /a
switch or in safe mode, and see if it then updates styles as expected.
(Start - Run - winword.exe /a, or hold down Ctrl as Word is starting, and
then click Yes to starting in safe mode.)

Note /a and safe mode are not the same thing. However, both provide a way to
bypass normal.dot, the usual registry grimlin (the Data key), and add-ins.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible