Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard Richard is offline

Default Macro Disabled help

I'm trying to finish a project which is going be about 114 pages on MS Word
which will require a lot of repetitiveness on my part. The other day I spent
several hours making macros which worked perfectly. Today when I opened the
document I discover none of the saved macros were working along with an error
message indicating something like, " Macros project disabled, please try
someplace else" I tried several things like changing the security settings;
running the macros. deleting and reinstalling the macros again. Nothing
worked. In the process of trying to figure out this problem I see I might
have to buy a Digital Signature. Ah excuse me, I really don't want to buy
anything I just want fix this small problem, finish my project and call my
ex-wife for a loan. Please, would really appreciate if someone could suggest
something.
Thanks
Richard
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you're saving the macros in the document (*.doc file), Word sees that as
a virus threat and really wants to not run them. There are several possible
solutions.

1. Make a new template (*.dot) file. Open both the document and this
template. In the VBA editor, cut the code of the macros from the document
and paste them into a new module in the template. Move the template into
Word's Startup folder (see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...atesStore.htm), which
makes the macros available to all documents. Restart Word to make the new
template load as a global add-in.

You may also need two other steps: (a) Go to Tools Macro Security
Trusted publishers and check the box for "Trust all installed templates and
add-ins". (b) To remove all traces of the macros from the document, save the
document as an RTF file, then load the RTF file and save it as a .doc file.

2. As an alternative to #1, find the program SelfCert.exe in the Office
folder under Program Files, and run it to create a signing certificate --
you don't have to buy one. In the VBA editor, select the module with the
macros. Go to Tools Digital Signature and sign the project with your
certificate. This is valid only on your machine, but that's sufficient for
your purposes. The next time you open the document, it will ask you to
accept the certificate, and it won't bother you after that.

3. If the level in Tools Macro Security is set to Medium, you should get
a dialog each time you open the document (assuming you haven't done either
of the preceding) with Disable and Enable buttons, and clicking Enable
should let the macros run.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman