Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon Sharon is offline

Default How do I make a form created in Word, using tables, fillable?

I spent several hours a while back creating a form in Word, using several
tables and check boxes. Now I want to be able to make that form fillable and
I don't want to start over. Is there a way?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 6 May 2008 16:40:01 -0700, Sharon
wrote:

I spent several hours a while back creating a form in Word, using several
tables and check boxes. Now I want to be able to make that form fillable and
I don't want to start over. Is there a way?

If you used check boxes from the Forms toolbar (NOT from the Control Toolbox),
then add text form fields -- also from the Forms toolbar -- in the table cells
that should have text entries. When it's all assembled, click the lock icon on
the toolbar, or click Tools Protect Document to open a task pane and select
"Filling in forms" as the protection type, then click the Start Protection
button.

See http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22 for step-by-step
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon Sharon is offline

Thanks for trying to help, but.....I am using Word 2007 and cannot find a
forms menu! Very frustrating! I created the form using tables and I copied
check boxes from a form I had done years ago. Can you tell me where to find
the forms menu? And then how to make my form fillable from there?

wrote:

I spent several hours a while back creating a form in Word, using several
tables and check boxes. Now I want to be able to make that form fillable and
I don't want to start over. Is there a way?

If you used check boxes from the Forms toolbar (NOT from the Control Toolbox),
then add text form fields -- also from the Forms toolbar -- in the table cells
that should have text entries. When it's all assembled, click the lock icon on
the toolbar, or click Tools Protect Document to open a task pane and select
"Filling in forms" as the protection type, then click the Start Protection
button.

See http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22 for step-by-step
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I shouldn't scold, but you really should have mentioned 2007 the first time.
It's different enough that it needs a different set of directions to get
started.

First go to Office button Word Options Popular and check the box to show
the Developer tab in the ribbon.

Now that you can see the Developer tab, look in the Controls group. There's
an icon that shows a folder with a couple of tools, and a downward-pointing
arrow. Click that to open the Legacy Tools box. The top row, labeled Legacy
Forms, has the same icons that were on the Forms toolbar in previous
versions. Use those to build your form (and don't be tempted by the ActiveX
controls in the bottom part of the box).

The one item from the old Forms toolbar that isn't on that box is the "lock"
icon for protecting the form. Instead, the Protect Document button is
further to the right on the Developer ribbon, and it opens a task pane where
you can choose to protect for filling forms (among other kinds of
protection). That protection is what makes the form fillable.

After you know where the buttons are, the rest of the procedure for building
and using a form is the same as described in the article.

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon Sharon is offline

I'm very sorry that I neglected to say that I was using 2007 - that is
important information indeed. I did some more searching based on your first
answer and I did accidentally find the folder with the tools on it :-) I have
tried adding form fields on my existing form and it works! Yea! Thank you so
much for your help - I can quit pulling my hair out now!