Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael O. Michael O. is offline

Default How can I stop "request virus scan" whenever documents open?

Whenever I open a document in Word 2002, I see a message in the lower left
corner "requesting virus scan." After a delay of perhaps fifteen seconds,
the document opens. Is there any way I can skip that without doing something
damaging?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Your anti-virus program is responsible. It may have an option to switch off
scanning, I don't know. You don't say which one you use - it may help
someone to help you if you do say, but it is not a Word-specific problem and
a forum dedicated to the AV program would be a better arena for the
question.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Michael O." wrote in message
Whenever I open a document in Word 2002, I see a message in the lower left
corner "requesting virus scan." After a delay of perhaps fifteen seconds,
the document opens. Is there any way I can skip that without doing

something
damaging?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The virus scan message comes not from Word but from linked anti-virus
software. Checking of Word/Office documents can usually be deselected in the
AV program e.g. in Norton AV by turning off its Office Plug-in.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Other AV apps eg the popular free ediition of Grisoft's AVG antivirus
software, require similar treatment.
In this instance:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"

Office MVP Beth Melton recently reported her discovery that "If there are
any WLL add-ins in the Startup folders they will trigger this message even
if the user doesn't have any type of virus scanner enabled. Apparently, MS
is using the virus scanning engine to check for macros in WLL files and as a
result it triggers the message. Note other than checking for macros it isn't
actually performing a virus scan....One add-in I know of that still uses a
WLL is EndNote." So you might check your Word and Office Startup folders for
..wll files.

Michael O. wrote:
Whenever I open a document in Word 2002, I see a message in the lower
left corner "requesting virus scan." After a delay of perhaps
fifteen seconds, the document opens. Is there any way I can skip
that without doing something damaging?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hunter 3 Hunter 3 is offline

It worked. After disabling the Office Plug-In on my Norton AV, Word no
longer does the scan - saving me lots of time & frustration. Thank you so
much for your help.