Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NancyH

Default How to convert footnote callouts to unlinked superscript numbers?

How can I convert linked footnote/endnotes to unlinked superscript numbers
and covert the corresponding note text to normal text that is at the end of
the document? I am a professional copyeditor who often has to renumber, edit,
move, and delete note callouts and quite frankly, the linked note feature
creates many problems. Many of my clients convert files and unlink note
callouts from text before the files are sent to me, which makes my job much
easier. But some clients don't, and I would like to know how to unlink the
notes myself.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace footnotes with textnotes
at end of document

' to replace the footnote reference in the body of the document with a
superscript number.

'

Dim afnote As Endnote

For Each afnote In ActiveDocument.footnotes

ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & afnote.Index & vbTab &
afnote.Range

afnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & afnote.Index & "a"

Next afnote

For Each afnote In ActiveDocument.Footnotes

afnote.Reference.Delete

Next afnote

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font

.Superscript = True

End With

With Selection.Find

.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"

.Replacement.Text = "\2"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchWildcards = True

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP