Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Danno Danno is offline

Default how do I control page numbers in a section break?

Good day. I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP Pro. I consider myself an
average user of Word, but I am having trouble with getting page numbers to
work in a two section scenario.

The document contains 50 pages. The document will be printed on both sides
of 8.5 x 11 paper. The first page is a cover page. The second page or the
back of the first page is marked as intentionally blank. I want the page
numbers to start on the thrid page starting with the number 1. I have tried
inserting the page number into the footer starting at 3, I have tried using a
section break after page 2 and inserting the page number into the footer of
page 3 starting a 1.

So far, I can only get the page number to show as page 1 at the bottom of
the third page. This is correct, however, the fourth page and the remainder
of the document show no page numbers. I then inserted a page number into the
footer of the fourth page. This made the page numbers show on the entire
document, but the second page also shows a page number of 1.

I have read the help file, looked in the on-line database, but I am still
missing something. Can someone please let me know the secret to make this
work?

Thanks, in advance, Danno...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You evidently have "Different first page" enabled, so you have both a First
Page Footer and a Footer in which to put page numbers. You have evidently
succeeded in unlinking the First Page Footer in Section 2 from the one in
Section 1; you need to unlink the Footers as well to keep the page number
from being displayed on the second page of Section 1.

Alternatively, if you can live with a totally blank second page (you don't
need text that says "This page intentionally left blank," use an Odd Page
section break, and Word will insert the blank page automatically; it will
have no header or footer.

"Danno" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Danno Danno is offline

Good day Suzanne, thank you for the quick response. I have never seen the
"Different first page" flag, but I will look it up. If I did unlink
anything, it was by accident. I think the Odd Page flag will work for me.
Thanks, Danno...

"Danno" wrote in message
[...]

I want to start Page '1' on the 3rd page. HOW???????? HELP????? marthamemphis Page Layout 11 October 3rd 06 12:30 AM
Want to start page 1 numbering after five pages - how? RM Page Layout 6 April 5th 06 05:07 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
Odd page section break Jenny Page Layout 5 December 15th 04 08:05 AM