Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

Default Word 2003 - IF Statement, Form Field Calculate

Greetings,

I have a table in Word 2003 and would like to do an “IF” statement on
a Text Form Field, type - Calculation.

The problem is: If CellA multiplied by CellB is $150 or less, the
answer is $150; otherwise the answer is the result of CellA multiplied
by CellB.

The expression would be this in Excel 2003: =IF(SUM(D19*D21)
150,150,SUM(D19*D21))

The expression would be this in Word 2003: *stumped*

I do not have the luxury of keeping Excel 2003 in the picture for this
document.

I have done Google searches for “IF” statements, formulas,
calculations, etc. And all “IF” calculations for Word 2003 lead me
to:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a67d4b94ada58f

AND

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Anyone looking for a great tutorial should download MVP Macropods.
This person has amazing talent, simply an incredible tutorial . The
thoroughness of the project is remarkable.

Even though I found great resources and fantastic advice, I still come
up short on a valid Form Field Expression for this problem.

I have an example Word.doc if that would help, I do not mind emailing
it if that would be more helpful. Any help solving this dilemma is
greatly appreciated.

Stacy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Stacy ,

In Excel, you could do also use:
=MAX(D19*D21,150)

In Word, you could use a formula field (rather than a calculation formfield) coded as:
{=MAX({=D19*D21},150)}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Stacy Birk" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

Thank You, macropod!

And especially for the 'note' part.

I have done the following:

Opened Document
Unprotected Document
Clicked Table, Insert Formula
In Formula Field typed "=MAX({=D19*D21},150)" (without the quotation
marks)
In the Format Field, selected "$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)" (without the
quotation marks)
Clicked Ok

I gave elementary steps I know, please know I am not questioning your
intelligence but more so questioning my own with this process. Would
you mind correcting me on where I went wrong?

I greatly appreciate your help, macropod.

Stacy

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...bles/browse_th...

AND

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Anyone looking for a great tutorial should download MVP Macropods.
This person has amazing talent, simply an incredible tutorial . *The
thoroughness of the project is remarkable.

Even though I found great resources and fantastic advice, I still come
up short on a valid Form Field Expression for this problem.

I have an example Word.doc if that would help, I do not mind emailing
it if that would be more helpful. *Any help solving this dilemma is
greatly appreciated.

Stacy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

I should have specified that I did try to do this as well:

Go to the cell within the table.
CTRL-F9=max(CTRL F9=D19*D21 ,150)

And that did not work either. I am sorry for the double post, I
should have stated that as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Stacy,

Where you want the calculation to go, press Ctrl-F9 twice, so that you get a nested pair of field braces, thus '{ { } }'. Then
fillin/around them so that you end up with '{=MAX({=D19*D21},150)}'

--
Cheers
macropod

"Stacy Birk" wrote in message ...
I should have specified that I did try to do this as well:

Go to the cell within the table.
CTRL-F9=max(CTRL F9=D19*D21 ,150)

And that did not work either. I am sorry for the double post, I
should have stated that as well.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

Thank you for sticking with me, macropod.

I did as you suggested and wrote (CTRL-F9 Twice for { } ): {=MAX
({=D19*D21},150)}

I received this: !Syntax Error, $

When I right clicked for field code, this appears: {=MAX
($374,696,150)}

When I ALT-F9 I see the code that I typed: {=MAX({=D19*D21},150)}

I double checked the table cell references, those are correct. Your
thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Try

{=MAX({=D19*D21 \# 0 },150)}

In tests here, that got rid of the $ before the numbers being compared and
overcame the !Syntax Error, $

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Stacy Birk" wrote in message
Thank you for sticking with me, macropod.

I did as you suggested and wrote (CTRL-F9 Twice for { } ): {=MAX
({=D19*D21},150)}

I received this: !Syntax Error, $

When I right clicked for field code, this appears: {=MAX
($374,696,150)}

When I ALT-F9 I see the code that I typed: {=MAX({=D19*D21},150)}

I double checked the table cell references, those are correct. Your
thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

Thank You, Doug! Both you and macropod are amazing!

From what I can tell the ' \ # 0' is a formatting switch of some
sort?

Also, side question - on various forums around here I notice the
formula written sometimes has spaces, sometimes does not - do spaces
matter when writing a formula such as you all did above? Just curious
on that.

Thank you again you two - I am extremely grateful to the assistance.

Stacy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

Thank you both so very much for your help and time. You both are
fantastic.

Doug, this works. The ' \# 0 ' is for formatting right? I am trying
to understand the logic so I know for next time. And having said that
the field would not have a dollar sign and should. Am I S.O.L.? or do
I have options for including a dollar sign?

Stacy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Stacy,

Yes, the '\# 0' is a "numeric picture switch" (in Word parlance). There's more on field switches in Word's help file.

To see how manage field formatting and perform a wide range of calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

--
Cheers
macropod

"Stacy Birk" wrote in message ...
Thank You, Doug! Both you and macropod are amazing!

From what I can tell the ' \ # 0' is a formatting switch of some
sort?

Also, side question - on various forums around here I notice the
formula written sometimes has spaces, sometimes does not - do spaces
matter when writing a formula such as you all did above? Just curious
on that.

Thank you again you two - I am extremely grateful to the assistance.

Stacy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can have a dollar sign \# "$,0" or for cents too \# "$,0.00"
All this and more is covered at

Stacy Birk wrote:
Thank you both so very much for your help and time. You both are
fantastic.

Doug, this works. The ' \# 0 ' is for formatting right? I am trying
to understand the logic so I know for next time. And having said that
the field would not have a dollar sign and should. Am I S.O.L.? or do
I have options for including a dollar sign?

Stacy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

Thank you both for your reply.

macropod - I have your 'math zip' file on my system, I have referred
to it before. Thank you for providing that information.

Graham Mayor - I have added your links for referrals in the future.

Forgive my ignorance here but in the links nor in the math.zip did I
find a point of reference when using the formula with an integer at
the end, such as the '150' that is in the above formula. The
following formulas I have tried and both returned the !Syntax Error,
$:

{=MAX({=D19*D21\# "$,0"}, 150)}

{=MAX({=D19*D21\#$#,##0}, 150)}

Possibly I am overlooking something here but I am not for certain
what. I appreciate the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Stacy,

using the '\# 0' within the embedded field simply tells Word to strip off the currency formatting for the purposes of the MAX test.
Since it seems you'll want the displayed result to have the currency formatting, code the field this way:
{=MAX({=D19*D21 \# 0 },150) \# $,0}
or
{=MAX({=D19*D21 \# 0.00 },150) \# $,0.00}
depending on whether any decimals might be involved. The comma after the $ sign inserts the thousands separator - delete it if you
don't want one.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Stacy Birk" wrote in message ...
Thank you both for your reply.

macropod - I have your 'math zip' file on my system, I have referred
to it before. Thank you for providing that information.

Graham Mayor - I have added your links for referrals in the future.

Forgive my ignorance here but in the links nor in the math.zip did I
find a point of reference when using the formula with an integer at
the end, such as the '150' that is in the above formula. The
following formulas I have tried and both returned the !Syntax Error,
$:

{=MAX({=D19*D21\# "$,0"}, 150)}

{=MAX({=D19*D21\#$#,##0}, 150)}

Possibly I am overlooking something here but I am not for certain
what. I appreciate the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

macropod!

Thank you so very much for your help. You do not know how much it is
appreciated. The final result that you offered works like a charm.

Side question: When working with field formulas such as we did within
this post, if spaces are not part of the end results, do spaces matter
when trying to get to a result? For example: This is the formula -
{=MAX({=D19*D21 \# 0 },150) \# $,0} (notice space after D21, after #
and after 0) as opposed to using: {=MAX({=D19*D21\#0},150)\# $,0} .

You are wonderful. Thank you again.

Stacy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Stacy,

The correct use of spaces between the expressions in a formula field can be critical. For the space between an expression and a
picture switch, though, I don't believe it is. Thus:
{=MAX({=D19*D21 \# 0 },150) \# $,0}
{=MAX({=D19*D21 \#0 },150) \#$,0}
{=MAX({=D19*D21\# 0 },150)\#$,0}
all give the same result, but
{=MAX({=D19*D21\# 0 },150)\#$ ,0}
will produce a syntax error. If you need spaces etc withing the formatted output, you need to enclose the numeric formatting within
double quotes. For example:
{=MAX({=D19*D21\# 0 },150) \# "$ ,0"}

--
Cheers
macropod

"Stacy Birk" wrote in message ...
macropod!

Thank you so very much for your help. You do not know how much it is
appreciated. The final result that you offered works like a charm.

Side question: When working with field formulas such as we did within
this post, if spaces are not part of the end results, do spaces matter
when trying to get to a result? For example: This is the formula -
{=MAX({=D19*D21 \# 0 },150) \# $,0} (notice space after D21, after #
and after 0) as opposed to using: {=MAX({=D19*D21\#0},150)\# $,0} .

You are wonderful. Thank you again.

Stacy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stacy Birk Stacy Birk is offline

Afternoon macropod!

Your explanation is most helpful. And is greatly appreciated.

Have a fantastic day,
Stacy