Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Bill Bill is offline

Default Glossary and Index after endnotes

I am working on a book that has the following structu

Body
Endnotes
Glossary

The version of Word I am using gives you the option of putting
endnotes either at the end of each section or the end of a document.
Because the book is in many chapters, requiring different page
headings, it is set up in many sections, so the "end of section"
option is not viable, and the "end of document" option does not allow
anything after the endnotes. My basic question is: Has this been fixed
in later version of Word?

If not, I am looking for the best alternative. The following have
occurred to me:

1. Inserting the glossary and index before the endnotes, tweaking the
page numbers, and then rearranging the page sequence in a PDF
generated from the Word file.
2. Marking the index entries and then writing a macro to create the
index in a separate file.
3. Converting the endnote references to hyperlinks and the endnote
text to text at the end of the body of the document.
4. Dropping the file into a publishing package (e.g., Quark).
5. Using a third party add-on that enables what I am trying to do.

Any suggestions that would simplify my approach would be appreciated.

Bill Buntain
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You can have everything you want using "End of section." See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...TextAfterNotes.

http://word.mvps.org

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Bill Bill is offline

Thanks, Suzanne, but unless I am missing something, that does not
solve my problem. I read this article before posting. At least with my
version of Word, this only works if there is just one section.
Choosing "End of section" results in the endnotes being placed at the
end of each chapter (section), not at the end of the book:

Chapter 1 (section 1)
Endnotes for Chapter 1
Chapter n (section n)
Endnotes for Chapter n
Glossary
etc.

instead of

Chapters 1-n
Endnotes
Glossary

The separate sections are necessary to allow for different page
headings for each chapter. Again, I would be happy to learn if this
limitation was resolved in a later version of Word.

Bill Buntain
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Read the article again. It explains how you should make use of the "Suppress
endnotes" option for all sections except the one where the notes should
actually follow.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Bill Bill is offline

On Jan 31, 11:16*am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Read the article again. It explains how you should make use of the "Suppress
endnotes" option for all sections except the one where the notes should
actually follow.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan and Suzanne. My apologies for my incomprehension.

Bill Buntain

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I'm glad you got it sorted! And there's no need to apologize. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bill" wrote in message

On Jan 31, 11:16 am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Read the article again. It explains how you should make use of the
"Suppress
endnotes" option for all sections except the one where the notes should
actually follow.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan and Suzanne. My apologies for my incomprehension.

Bill Buntain

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

It's pretty subtle, so it does take a while to sink in. g

http://word.mvps.org

"Bill" wrote in message
On Jan 31, 11:16 am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Read the article again. It explains how you should make use of the
"Suppress
endnotes" option for all sections except the one where the notes should
actually follow.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan and Suzanne. My apologies for my incomprehension.

Bill Buntain

handeiere handeiere is offline
Junior Member

I'm glad you got it sorted! And there's no need to apologize. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bill" wrote in message

On Jan 31, 11:16 am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Read the article again. It explains how you should make use of the
"Suppress
endnotes" option for all sections except the one where the notes should
actually follow.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks Stefan and Suzanne. My apologies for my incomprehension.

Bill Buntain

Win Davis Win Davis is offline
Junior Member

I hope this topic is still open. After some reading and re-reading, I finally got the point. I went to the insert footnote box and told it to place endnotes at the end of sections. It put them as footnotes on each page. Then I went to page layout and selected the suppress endnotes function. I selected the whole document box. Nothing changed. I tried all the possible variations of this, but the footnotes remain where they are. However, each footnote contains an error message at the beginning: Error! Main Document Only.

I'm using Word 2002. Have I missed something? Or is my software malfunctioning?

Thank you,

Win