Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
waveluna waveluna is offline

Default How do I stop styles from changing when I save and reopen the file

I frequently use styles to format my documents. However, sometimes I have
noticed that when I save a document, close it and then open it later, the
style formats have changed. This most often seems to happen on Headers - for
example when I save the file there will be outline numbering applied to
Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. but when I open it next time the numbering is gone
or the font on the numbering has changed. I've also had my paragraph spacing
change - such as I changed a style to only have 4pt after a paragraph and
when I reopen the document (or someone else opens it) the style has reverted
back to having 6pt after the paragraph.

This becomes problematic when I have to keep changing the styles back every
time I leave and come back.

This has happened on multiple documents. I would greatly appreciate a
solution as it tends to suck up time I don't have!

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi waveluna,

This is happening because:
a) you've changed the styles from thos of the template upon which the document is based; and
b) the 'Automatically update document styles' option is checked, under Tools|Templates and Add-ins.
Unchecking the 'Automatically update document styles' option will prevent the style reversion. The better practice, though, is to
use a template with the appropriate style definitions.

--
Cheers
macropod

"waveluna" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mi Tasol Mi Tasol is offline

On Dec 18, 1:18*pm, "macropod" wrote:
[...]

I can greatly sympathize with waveluna on this one and wait for the
updates and other feedback

- I have auto update turned off so that is not the problem for me
anyway
- I never change styles outside of the template - EXCEPT to correct
the damage that word has done. PERIOD.
- the template is read only to "prevent" corruption
- trying to open the template gets an insufficient disk space or
memory error - its a 800 k file.
- copying the template and renaming to .doc it opens fine and all the
styles are perfect
- I tried copying the styles from the template to the file in
organiser - the wurdified numbering remains, so, like waveluna I have
to waste time redoing the styles OR copy the whole thing as
unformatted text into "template.doc" and reformat the whole document
to the styles. In a big procedures manual (several with over 100
section breaks) this is a nightmare in docs with 8 heading level
styles, 10 para styles (including things like caption) etc.

Glad I am not the only one with this

Mi Tasol
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Mi Tasol,

FWIW, I can't see any connection between the problem you're describing and that of the OP.

An 800KB template is rather large and the fact you can't create a new document based on it suggests the template may be corrupt.
Further, your claim "it opens fine and all the styles are perfect", is contradicted by your subsequent claim "I have to waste time