Default password protection

So, once again Microsoft has failed to implement a simple password protection
solution. In using MS Word from MS office XP I have a password protected
document. I entered the password for access and the password for write
permission and still it said that the document was read only when I tried to
save. I had to save it as a different file, delete the old file (trying to
just rename it just gave me a file permissions error) and rename the file
back to the old name. I opened the new/renamed file and still CAN'T GET
write permissions when I try and use the password on the new file. The
password is correct. There is no password error message.

I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS NONSENSE EVERY TIME I MAKE CHANGES!!!!

MS Word has been around for about 20 years now. YOU'D THINK THAT MICROSOFT
DEVELOPERS WOULD GET IT RIGHT BY NOW?!?!?!?!!

Maybe a regClean?? I'm using XP pro SP2, MS Office 2003 fully updated.

The other pet peve I have with MS Word and password protection is this.. If
you open a document that is password protection and you select to view it
"Read Only". If you accidentally make a change or forget that the document is
R/O, THE DAMN THING ASKS YOU IF YOU WISH TO SAVE CHANGES!!! HOW CAN i SAVE
CHANGES IF THE DAMN DOCUMENT IS R/O???? Would it be more prudent that when a
change is detected to alert you that you are changing a read only document
and perhaps PROMPT YOU FOR A PASSWORD?!?!?!?!?!!

Ah, the Microsoft mentality..... totally counter intuitive.
Charles Kenyon

Please don't SHOUT. The people reading these messages do not work for
Microsoft, they are your fellow users. Sorry you are upset.

The thing is, you can save changes to a read-only document, as you've
discovered. You simply save it under a different name, close the document,
delete the read-only old document, and then rename your new version with the
old name. Given how easy this is to do, I often wonder why people bother
making files read only.

Write permissions can be something that Word put in at your request, or can
be a product of your OS permissions.

BTW, one post is sufficient.
--

Charles Kenyon