dalkins

Default Why does track changes save changes as athour and not me?

When I make a change in the document with track changes, it will show that
the change is associated to me...after I save the document containing my
changes, Word says the changes are associated with the Author of the
document...no longer me.
Shauna Kelly

Hi dalkins

Word 2003? Have a look at Tools Options Security. Is the "Remove
personal information from file properties on save" ticked? If so, then Word
will remove a whole lot of personal information when you save the file. That
personal information includes your name, and the tracked changes is
allocated to the generic "Author" person.

If you un-tick that box, does Word correctly save your name?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"dalkins" wrote in message
When I make a change in the document with track changes, it will show that
the change is associated to me...after I save the document containing my
changes, Word says the changes are associated with the Author of the
document...no longer me.

jgreenwood

I have the same issue at least on some documents. Unfortunately, your
suggestion does not resolve the problem.

Here's what I note. When I bring up the document, all existing changes
are identified as made by Author. When I make further changes, they
appear in a different color and are identified as made by John
Greenwood (i.e. me). As soon as I save the document (with or without
closing it) all changes revert to the first color and are identified as
made by Author. After that if I (John Greenwood) try to delete new text
attributed to Author (because I saved the document and immediately
thereafter decided I didn't like the addition I made) the text is not
deleted it is struck through. This really screws up the track changes
process.

I am using Word 2003 SP1. Balloons only for comments and formatting.
Remove personal info is unchecked. The three boxes below that are
checked.

I created the document, but it was e-mailed to someone else who edited
it with track changes on. I accepted all his changes. It was after
that when the problem surfaced. Could this be triggered by an
intermediate editor who worked in an earlier version of Word?

TIA

--
jgreenwood

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jgreenwood

Having identified the issue, I am not completely satisfied with the
solution. I susprct this falls into the category of "works as
intended" - but:

If I am working on a document with remove personal info checked and I
save the document (which I do regularly) the changes become changes by
author. If I then change my mind about an insert and want to delete it
Word treats it as a change by one person of a prior change by another
person - i.e. by striking through the text instead of deleting it. I
can then tell Word to accept the change, but not only is that an
annoyance, it increases the chances of a screw-up where the mark-up I
ultimately create does not accurately identify the changes.

In the future I will try to remember to check the status of "remove
personal information" on every incoming document before starting my own
work, but in my limited testing there are circumstances where I cannot
control matters. For instance when I tried creating a new document
through compare and merge, all changes are marked as being made by
author regardless of the setting.

Thoughts, hints, practical advice welcome.