getravel

Default Hidden text in a table

Although rare, I sometimes receive documents that contain text that is hidden
in a table cell.

First, a little setup information:

The document will contain a simple table (2 columns). The first column has
the step number, the second reflects the instructions for executing that
particular step. The instructions may be small enough that several steps may
appear on a single page. Lastly, there may be enough steps that the table
could extend multiple pages.

Here's the problem -

The last step on a page may have multiple lines of text, some of which
appear in the cell, but also some text that continues beyond the bottom
border of the cell. The text does not flow to the next page, but rather is
hidden.

To 'expose' this information, I have to 'tweak' the text that is already
displayed. This may include reformatting the text, deleting unnecessary
wording, etc. After the hidden text is exposed, I usually copy and paste it
somewhere else so that I can reformat it.

Like I said earlier, this happens so infrequently, it really isn't a major
problem, but I really would like to know why this happens.

Any info you can share would be greatly apprexiated.

--
Thanx,
getravel (Mike M.)
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Hidden text in a table

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you're encountering hidden text in a table cell that extends beyond the visible area of the cell. This can happen if the text is too long to fit within the cell and the cell is not set to wrap text automatically.

To fix this issue, you can adjust the cell properties to allow text to wrap automatically. Here's how:
  1. Select the table cell containing the hidden text.
  2. Right-click on the cell and select "Table Properties" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the Table Properties dialog box, select the "Cell" tab.
  4. Under the "Options" section, check the box next to "Wrap text" to allow the text to wrap automatically within the cell.
  5. Click "OK" to save the changes.

Once you've enabled text wrapping, you should be able to see all of the text within the cell without having to tweak the formatting or delete unnecessary wording.

PHP Code:
//No macro or Visual Basic code found
__________________
Doug Robbins

It sounds like the rows in the table are formatted with an exact row height
and that there is too much text to fit within the cell.

Instead of tweaking the text, you could select Table Properties from the
Tables menu and then go to the Row tab and change the Row height is: setting
from exactly to At least.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"getravel" wrote in message
[...]

getravel

Doug,

thank you for the suggestion. The next time I receive a document with this
formatting, I will try your suggestion.

Have a great weekend.
--
Thanks again,