Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Csutak40 Csutak40 is offline

Default Can't save merge criteria

I have read here that other people also preferred the "old" version of
merge. I have eventually managed to figure out how to do it, but...

I help in the office of various charities. I am considered the "expert"
which I am compared to the other "staff". :-) I have set up merges for
them, so that they can easily run off labels if I'm not around.

There are various versions of these, some only include a certain number
(say, a mail out to the committee only) all originating from the same data
base (a word document) So, in the past, I've set up mail merges, using the
required criteria and saved it at that point, so that if anyone wants to
print some labels, they only need to click on the "merge to printer" button.
I could of course save the merged labels as a document, but that wouldn't be
up to date as the data source often changes.

Some of the old ones I created (even though they were set up in Office97)
still work.

I can't seem to create any new ones though! I manage to set up the merge
and run it, but if I try saving the page with just the "address block" on
it, and then try using it, it can no longer find the data source. I even
moved the data source to the 'My Data Sources' folder thinking that this
may be what's causing the problem, but it still can't find it. It invites
me to browse for it and open it, which I do, still get the same pop-up back
insisting that it
can't see it. The only other option it allows is to make it into a word
document, which is course isn't going to allow me to do the merge.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Cheers,

Judy -- some quotes perceptive, some pedestrian, none mine :-)

What boots up must come down.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Csutak40,

Which versin of Word are you using now?

Are you trying to set any of the criteria in the "Recipients" dialog box?

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Csutak40 Csutak40 is offline

Cindy M. typed:
Hi Csutak40,

Which versin of Word are you using now?

I am using Word 2003

Are you trying to set any of the criteria in the "Recipients" dialog
box?

Yes, I am. I don't want labels to be created for the entire data base,
just for people where a column has "nonblanks" in it. The merge works fine,
that one time. However I need to go through the whole procedure every time,
if I try to save the merge, it can't find the document I've browsed to.
Even after I changed the location of the document to the "Data Sources"
folder

Cheers,

Judy -- some quotes perceptive, some pedestrian, none mine :-)

Ability hits the mark where presumption overshoots and diffidence falls
short. -- (Golda Meir)

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Csutak40,

Which versin of Word are you using now?

I am using Word 2003

Are you trying to set any of the criteria in the "Recipients" dialog
box?

Yes, I am. I don't want labels to be created for the entire data base,
just for people where a column has "nonblanks" in it. The merge works fine,
that one time. However I need to go through the whole procedure every time,
if I try to save the merge, it can't find the document I've browsed to.
Even after I changed the location of the document to the "Data Sources"
folder

Instead of using the lists in the Recipients dialog box, try displaying the
"Advanced" dialog box and set the criteria there. Select the column name from
the first dropdown, then "is not blank" from the second drop down.