Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Typo Typo is offline

Default Why can't i use the x to close a document?

Why can't I just click on the x in the top right hand corner to exit a Word
2007 document? If i click the x, the document stays open but every other
button in the document will not respond to any clicks then.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Is this the only symptom of a problem? Are you able to copy and paste in
Word? It is sounding like a corrupt Word Data key.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Typo" wrote in message
Why can't I just click on the x in the top right hand corner to exit a
Word
2007 document? If i click the x, the document stays open but every other
button in the document will not respond to any clicks then.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That's a symptom of a Word Data Key corruption - usually because Word has
been running when updates are installed.

Run Regedit and expand by double-clicking to the key below. With DATA
selected, press DELETE. Word will automatically recreate a new key when it
is restarted.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

Symptoms of Data Key corruption include:

€¢ The mouse does not work when you use Word.
€¢ You cannot open a Word document from the Search window in Windows
Vista.
€¢ You cannot open a Word document from Windows Desktop Search.
€¢ Word crashes when you try to start or exit Word.
€¢ Word crashes when you open the Open dialog box.
€¢ Word crashes when you save a document.
€¢ Word crashes when you close a document.

If you feel uncomfortable editing the registry yourself, Microsoft have a
download that will do this for you. See MSKB 940791
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940791

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP