Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steven Steven is offline

Default Double Click does not open document

Hi,

I am using Word 2003. Until recently, I could open a word document directly
from my desktop by double clicking on it. Now, however, when double
clicking, the program opens but not the document. I need to either double
click the document icon again or go FileOpen etc.

I found something on the web to try (winword /r) but this hasn't solved the
problem. Just wondered if anyone else has had this and how it can be
resolved.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KPC KPC is offline

I know this won't help you Steven - but I have passed on my laptop to my wife
and set her up as a new user - so all her documents are now stored in her new
folders. When she double clicks a document name (Word 2007 in this case)
Word starts up but the document cannot be found. It can only be opened
either from the "most recently used" list or by going "File...Open" - a very
similar problem and one that I feel sure has a simple solution. Anyone out
there had this before and solved it? Please help!

Keith C Parry (UK)

"Steven" wrote:

Hi,

I am using Word 2003. Until recently, I could open a word document directly
from my desktop by double clicking on it. Now, however, when double
clicking, the program opens but not the document. I need to either double
click the document icon again or go FileOpen etc.

I found something on the web to try (winword /r) but this hasn't solved the
problem. Just wondered if anyone else has had this and how it can be
resolved.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steven Steven is offline

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply - the same thing happens to me when I try to open a
word doc attachement in an email. I forgot about that bit!

Perhaps they're all caused by the same issue.

Hopefully someone can help us...

Steven

"Steven" wrote:

Hi,

I am using Word 2003. Until recently, I could open a word document directly
from my desktop by double clicking on it. Now, however, when double
clicking, the program opens but not the document. I need to either double
click the document icon again or go FileOpen etc.

I found something on the web to try (winword /r) but this hasn't solved the
problem. Just wondered if anyone else has had this and how it can be
resolved.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KPC KPC is offline

Hi
Since posting the query earlier I think I have solved the problem.....
THe default application for .docx files in the settings was the Word VIEWER
aplet and not Word as in Office As soon as I changed this then a double
click on the filename in Explorer opens the documents each time..... Similar
problem with .doc files as well. I have a funny feeling this may be the
solution we were both looking for!!!!

Good luck

Keith Parry

"Steven" wrote:

Hi,

I am using Word 2003. Until recently, I could open a word document directly
from my desktop by double clicking on it. Now, however, when double
clicking, the program opens but not the document. I need to either double
click the document icon again or go FileOpen etc.

I found something on the web to try (winword /r) but this hasn't solved the
problem. Just wondered if anyone else has had this and how it can be
resolved.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sydz Sydz is offline

I had the same problem with Word 2003until I uninstalled the "Office Live"
add-on. I was not using it anyway and once it was uninstalled double
clicking was back to normal. Let me know if it can work for you.

"Steven" wrote:

Hi,

I am using Word 2003. Until recently, I could open a word document directly
from my desktop by double clicking on it. Now, however, when double
clicking, the program opens but not the document. I need to either double
click the document icon again or go FileOpen etc.

I found something on the web to try (winword /r) but this hasn't solved the
problem. Just wondered if anyone else has had this and how it can be
resolved.

Thanks

Fyodor Soloview Fyodor Soloview is offline
Junior Member

Location: Anchorage, Alaska

I fixed the same problem the following way.

Left-click on START,

Right-click on MY COMPUTER,

Right-click on EXPLORE,

Left-click on TOOLS,

Left-click on FOLDER OPTIONS,

Left-click on FILE TYPES,

Scroll down the EXTENSIONS column (in alphabetical order) until you get the word DOC next to the Microsoft Word logo, and in the right column in the same row you read "Microsoft Word Documents",

Click at this entire row to make at active (making it blue),

You will see the button RESTORE down the same screen. You may read, before clicking RESTORE, about the changes which have been made with Word; that is why we could not open Word documents by simply double-clicking on it. Why these changes happened, we may never understand. In my case, they happened immediately after I downloaded some program to help me read the document with the extension "pages". Indeed, I could read after that this document with extension "pages" being created on Apple computer, but this program changed somehow the ability to open Word documents with simple double-click.

Click the button RESTORE. You are done! Nothing else needed. You do not even have to click button OK to close the screen. But do it anyway.

Now you can open the Word documents by doing double-click!
PETER.PHIL PETER.PHIL is offline
Junior Member

Go to "Tools" then "Insert...". Next, type in the exact web address you want. Then click "Finish". If you have any questions or problems, MS.com has an answer for it.