How can I extract addresses from many word documents?

Old December 1st 04, 08:11 PM
Tony

Default How can I extract addresses from many word documents?

I have a folder with over 1,000 client proposals which are formatted similiar
and I would like to extract the addresses from those proposals and put them
in a database.

Thanks for your help

Tony
Old December 5th 04, 12:04 AM
Word Heretic

G'day "Tony" ,

I found a fairly easy way to do this. This is a low frequency solution
I use.

Manually

Create a new folder in your contacts
Copy all the messages into this folder, they will become contacts.
Hold down Y if necc. This is a slow and manual way of filtering out
all body content to instantly reduce our mess and drastically reduce
find errors.

Select all these contacts and File export as text

Programatically
Load the text file use Documents.Open
For each para
if para start "Full Name" or whatever else I need, kill it
next
reformat what's left using find and replace so each record is one para
sort the document
kill duplicates

Right now you have a nice data file. Use whatever method you desire to
drop into access, manually won't matter here.

As each step is simple, it took 10 minutes the first time, and will
take about 5 mins for re-iterations. That is because 4.5 minutes are
spent on manually stripping out my distribution lists and so on.

FWIW, this is also an excellent technique for anyone to perform on the
corporate address book to create a dictionary called Names.dic to cut
down everyone's efforts in spelling difficult staff names. I just kept
Full Name:, found and replaced all spaces with para marks, then
deleted all paragraphs without any spelling errors! What was left was
the name / name fragments the spellchecker didn't know. This also
makes it trivial to merge new entries only with your old dictionary.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Tony reckoned: