Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
GeorgeC

Default How do I force a section start on an odd page?

Selecting Insert | Break | Odd Page results in an even page break being
inserted. Inserting a second odd break before the incorrect even one results
in an odd break being inserted. However subsequent deleting the even break,
results in the odd break being changed to an even break.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

I can't explain why the type of section break changes as you insert
it, but it has been reported in other threads. A situation where Word
(or perhaps the printer driver) would "logically" change the type of
section break is when two different sections use different paper
formats; otherwise, the back and front of a page could have different
paper formats. Of course, in such a case it would force an odd page,
not an even page break.

Does Word allow you to change the "Section start" option on the Layout
tab of FilePage Setup -- after you've inserted the new section?

The behavior when deleting breaks can certainly be confusing. Part of
the difficulty is that a section break stores the formatting of the
preceding section; but it displays the type (Odd, even, continuous) of
the following section. For more about deleting section breaks, see:

Working with sections
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
Selecting Insert | Break | Odd Page results in an even page break

being
inserted. Inserting a second odd break before the incorrect even one

results
in an odd break being inserted. However subsequent deleting the even

break,
results in the odd break being changed to an even break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
GeorgeC

Thankyou, this answered the initial question. I discovered the page setup was
set to start a section on an even page. Why this only affected a couple of
the sections, I do not know. However this I have now fixed and I have another
problem. I am including two sub documents in a master document. All three
(master and two subs) are based on the same document template. In the page
setup for all three, the paper size is the same and sections should all start
on an odd page. In the second sub document, the last section starts with a
break (odd page) but when included in the master this section displays with a
break (continuous). Any ideas?

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
Selecting Insert | Break | Odd Page results in an even page break

being
inserted. Inserting a second odd break before the incorrect even one

results
in an odd break being inserted. However subsequent deleting the even

break,
results in the odd break being changed to an even break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

Since you are using master documents, you should be aware that they
tend to corrupt. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm. It is
possible that the master document is causing your section break
trouble (but I can't tell for certain, since I avoid them, as do most
regular posters here).

Word can handle large documents as single files, so you could probably
combine your two documents into a single one.

Alternatively, if you want to be able to work with the files
separately, but have them combined for TOC, index, etc. purposes, you
can use the IncludeText field. See
http://daiya.mvps.org/includetext.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
Selecting Insert | Break | Odd Page results in an even page

break
being
inserted. Inserting a second odd break before the incorrect even

one
results
in an odd break being inserted. However subsequent deleting the

even
break,
results in the odd break being changed to an even break.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
GeorgeC

Once again thanks. I do need to keep the documents seperate as the
information appears in more than one document. I need to keep a single
source. I will read the articles suggested.

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
Selecting Insert | Break | Odd Page results in an even page

break
being
inserted. Inserting a second odd break before the incorrect even

one
results
in an odd break being inserted. However subsequent deleting the

even
break,
results in the odd break being changed to an even break.

page number positioning and format tinaa Page Layout 3 February 4th 06 12:38 AM
page setup SP Page Layout 6 November 14th 05 07:08 PM
How Do I Delete Page Numbers I Don't Want! James Inman Microsoft Word Help 6 August 14th 05 10:25 PM
Retaining Section Break at the Bottom of Page 1 Diane M Formatting Long Documents 3 January 14th 05 08:16 PM