Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default MS Word form fields versus mail merge fields

Hi,
I have an application which needs to communicate with MS Word to
generate documents.
Typically my application will want to generate 1 document at a time.
The user will select a template name and then choose to build a
document.
My application then has the responsibility of populating the document
with values.
I have created document templates in MS Word which contain form fields.
I have given my fields bookmark names.
I am using COM automation to communicate with Word and I am using
WordBasic interface to call the functions I need performed.
I can start Word and give it a template to open. I then ask it for all
the bookmark names.
I then cycle through each bookmark and populate it via doing a 'GoTo'
bookmark followed by an 'Insert'. It all seems to be working.
Questions
1) what about using mail merge fields. Can I achieve the same thing
using a mail merge ? Is it any easier ? Do I need to build a data
source file containing all my data and then do a mail merge ?
2) the WordBasic interface is now old technology. What is a more modern
approach to achieving my requirements ?
3) In general what is the best approach to having my application
generate Word documents for my users ?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Charles Kenyon

Answered in docmanagement newsgroup. In the Microsoft Word newsgroups it is
considered bad form to post separate messages to multiple newsgroups. If you
need to post in more than one forum (unusual) please post a single message
with both forums in the header of that single message. That way (1) your
question and the various answers stay together, (2) less space is used on
the news servers, (3) less bandwidth is used on the Internet, (4) you only
have to check one forum for answers that appear in both forums, and (5) you
won't unnecessarily annoy the people you are asking for help. This isn't
meant to criticize you. We were all beginners once and the only way to learn
is to try. (BTW, a number of the Microsoft newsgroups don't want posting in
more than one newsgroup, period. Check the FAQ.)
Take a look on the MVP FAQ website under "getting help" for more reasons ase
well as other suggestions for getting answers more easily and quickly. URL:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FindHelp/Posting.htm

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anne Troy

The answer depends entirely on how many documents are created "at once" and
whether and where you're storing the data...

************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
Check out the NEWsgroup stats!
Check out: www.ExcelUserConference.com

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MaryT

How do you find the "docmanagement newsgroup"? I would love to see the
answer to the original question.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP