Tino

Default Non .doc files

I'm not sure if this is a WORD problem or an XP problem.

I have recently upgraded from NT to XP (service pack 2). I also have WORD97.
When I open a file which doesn't have a .DOC extension with WORD by using
"right click & OPEN" and then choosing WORD it opens the file OK but it
displays a file name of "DOCUMENT 1" and treats the file as if it were a new
file. When I go to save the file it is as if I am saving a new file with the
default directory of "MY DOCUMENTS". With NT I didn't have this problem. Non
..DOC files would be opened with their correct file name and could back in
their original format in their original directory. Is there a fix for this
problem?

regards

Peter

Tino

I'm just using the mouse to "right click" on a file, right click only gives
"ope" or "open with". I'm not trying to open a file from within word. I can
only files from within word OK but that's not what I want to do as I have to
use word to "browse" to the file.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you sure you're choosing Open rather than New? The behavior you
describe
is what you would experience if you were choosing New.

so
all may benefit.

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]

If you're sure you're choosing Open and not New, then I have no idea what
might be going wrong.

"Tino" wrote in message
I'm just using the mouse to "right click" on a file, right click only

gives
"ope" or "open with". I'm not trying to open a file from within word. I

can
only files from within word OK but that's not what I want to do as I have

use word to "browse" to the file.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Are you sure you're choosing Open rather than New? The behavior you
describe
is what you would experience if you were choosing New.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]

Tino

From your reply maybe you still think I'm trying to open the file from
within Word. I'm not trying to open a file with Word already open. In a "my
computer" window I select the file I want to open & then "right click" on it
to get either "open" or "open with" and then I choose a program with which
to open the file. I did some further experimenting and found that if I use
Wordpad or Notepad to open the file the file will be opened with it's
correct name and in the correct location. The problem seems confined to
Word.

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]

No, I understand exactly what you're doing. But if Word is registered
properly, then the default action for a .doc file (in Windows Explorer) is
Open and for a .dot file is New. If I right-click on a .doc file in an
Explorer window, I get Open (bolded), Edit, New, and Print as the first menu
items. I'm just confirming that you are sure you are choosing Open. If so, I
can't imagine why you are unable to open the document.

From your reply maybe you still think I'm trying to open the file from

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Well what you are opening must be a template (dot) and the default action is
for Word to open a new document from a template: hence Document1 displays.
Why haven't your files got extensions? If you display the extensions, you
may then see what type of files they are. It sometimes prevents the
accidental opening of viruses too. From just the security aspect, it is
plain bonkers to hide file extensions.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Tino" wrote in message
: From your reply maybe you still think I'm trying to open the file from
: within Word. I'm not trying to open a file with Word already open. In a
"my
: computer" window I select the file I want to open & then "right click" on
it
: to get either "open" or "open with" and then I choose a program with which
: to open the file. I did some further experimenting and found that if I use
: Wordpad or Notepad to open the file the file will be opened with it's
: correct name and in the correct location. The problem seems confined to
: Word.
:
:
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: If you're sure you're choosing Open and not New, then I have no idea
what
: might be going wrong.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
: so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Tino" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Tino" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Tino

OK. If I right-click on a .doc file I get the same as you. The non-.doc
files I am trying to open are NOT .dot files, generally they are
unregistered files, e.g. .bu, .tt, and often I want to open a .txt file with
word but as those ones are registered to another program I use open-with. It
doesn't matter what the extension is, non-.doc files seem to open as "new"
files.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No, I understand exactly what you're doing. But if Word is registered
properly, then the default action for a .doc file (in Windows Explorer) is
Open and for a .dot file is New. If I right-click on a .doc file in an
Explorer window, I get Open (bolded), Edit, New, and Print as the first
menu
items. I'm just confirming that you are sure you are choosing Open. If so,
can't imagine why you are unable to open the document.

so
all may benefit.

From your reply maybe you still think I'm trying to open the file from

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]

TF

What extension does the file have then?

Terry

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]
: "Tino" wrote in message
: ...
: : From your reply maybe you still think I'm trying to open the file from
: : within Word. I'm not trying to open a file with Word already open. In
: "my
: : computer" window I select the file I want to open & then "right click"
: on
: it
: : to get either "open" or "open with" and then I choose a program with
: which
: : to open the file. I did some further experimenting and found that if I
: use
: : Wordpad or Notepad to open the file the file will be opened with it's
: : correct name and in the correct location. The problem seems confined
: : Word.
: :
: :
: :
: : "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: : ...
: : If you're sure you're choosing Open and not New, then I have no idea
: what
: : might be going wrong.
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: newsgroup
: : so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "Tino" wrote in message
: : ...
: : I'm just using the mouse to "right click" on a file, right click
only
: : gives
: : "ope" or "open with". I'm not trying to open a file from within
word.
: I
: : can
: : only files from within word OK but that's not what I want to do as
: have
: : use word to "browse" to the file.
: :
: : "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: : ...
: : Are you sure you're choosing Open rather than New? The behavior
you
: : describe
: : is what you would experience if you were choosing New.
: :
: : --
: : Suzanne S. Barnhill
: : Microsoft MVP (Word)
: : Words into Type
: : Fairhope, Alabama USA
: : Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: : Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: : newsgroup
: : so
: : all may benefit.
: :
: : "Tino" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

Tino

There are many different types of extensions, all are ASCII files, many are
created on a unix machine but not all. Some extensions are .tt, .bu,
..xxxxxx, .txt, etc. It doesn't seem to matter what the extension is, if it's
not registered to word then word opens the file as new document.

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]
: "Tino" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : "Tino" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]
: : "Tino" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

Tino

Yes, that's exactly what it appears like - word is defaulting to New for all
non-.doc files, which it never used to do under NT.

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]

From your reply maybe you still think I'm trying to open the file from

"Tino" wrote in message
[...]

Saving .doc files in FTP sites snib Microsoft Word Help 1 March 4th 05 04:37 AM
Embedded .jpeg and .gif files J Streger Microsoft Word Help 0 March 1st 05 05:23 PM
compression of .doc files manoj vb via OfficeKB.com New Users 1 January 18th 05 08:07 PM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM