Michael Miller

Default Saving a Form Fields contents into an excel spreadsheet.

I currently use a template with a set of form fields to help in completing a
document. I need all of the information in the form fields to be saved to an
excel spreadsheet without any duplicate entries (determined by an 'order
number' field). Is this possible using Macro's?

Several people will be using the template, and it will need to save to the
same excel spreadsheet (that we will have stored on a shared network drive).
Thanks in advance for your help!
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWljaGFlbCBNaWxsZXI=?=,

I currently use a template with a set of form fields to help in completing a
document. I need all of the information in the form fields to be saved to an
excel spreadsheet without any duplicate entries (determined by an 'order
number' field). Is this possible using Macro's?

Yes, you have two basic possibilities:

1. In Word: Tools/Options/Save you can choose to save the form data, only. This
generates a delimited text file, which could easily be imported / appended to an
Excel table. The macro code could then be in Excel (import and check for
duplicate entries).

2. You could have the macro in Word that would connect to Excel. This could
either automtate Excel, or use DAO or ADO to connect to the data (without using
the Excel application interface). How well this could work depends, to some
extent, on whether that workbook might be "locked" because someone else has it
open.

A lot of the "bits and pieces" for (2) can be found on the word.mvps.org website
(reading data from form fields; automating or connecting to Excel).

To pursue the macro question, if you need help, go to the excel.programming
group for (1). Go to a word.vba group for (2).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)