tinsel

Default outline numbering in MS Word 97

I need to use 3 sets of outline numbers in a document. First set - Clause 1,
1.1 etc, Second set Appendix 1, App 1.1 etc, Third Set Annex 1, Annex 1.1 etc

Having chosen Format - Bullets and Numbers - Outline Numbers and set up the
styles appropriately, every time I select Appendix 1 which is obviously a
level 1 heading, it does not show the words Appendix 1 in the text. Also,
whenever I go back to Format - Bullets and Numbers again, it has reset itself
back to the 'None' set of numbers.