Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Training Spec. Training Spec. is offline

Default What's Word keyboard shortcut to insert a page of text?

What's Word keyboard shortcut to insert a page of text? It appears to be in
Latin. It fills the page with the text. I've used it before but forgot it
(and didn't write it down)!

Thanks,
--
John
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Try he
http://tinyurl.com/jr5fb

Ed

"Training Spec." wrote in message
What's Word keyboard shortcut to insert a page of text? It appears to be
in
Latin. It fills the page with the text. I've used it before but forgot it
(and didn't write it down)!

Thanks,
--
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Training Spec. Training Spec. is offline

Thanks!

Actually, I remember now, it was "the quick brown fox..." I was looking for!
I read that answer in your link, also.

"Typing =Rand(a,b) and pressing Enter will give you a paragraphs of b
sentences each - the sentence being "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy
dog" "

Thanks!
--
John

"Ed" wrote:

Try he
http://tinyurl.com/jr5fb

Ed

"Training Spec." wrote in message
What's Word keyboard shortcut to insert a page of text? It appears to be
in
Latin. It fills the page with the text. I've used it before but forgot it
(and didn't write it down)!

Thanks,
--
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

I'm using Word XP. I've never been able to get the =rand() thing to work.
Is it inserted as a formula or special field or something?

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/DummyText.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Training Spec." wrote in message
What's Word keyboard shortcut to insert a page of text? It appears to be

in
Latin. It fills the page with the text. I've used it before but forgot it
(and didn't write it down)!

Thanks,
--
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you read the article?

"Ed" wrote in message
I'm using Word XP. I've never been able to get the =rand() thing to work.
Is it inserted as a formula or special field or something?

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/DummyText.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Training Spec." wrote in

message
What's Word keyboard shortcut to insert a page of text? It appears to

be
in
Latin. It fills the page with the text. I've used it before but forgot

it
(and didn't write it down)!

Thanks,
--
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Did you read the article?
Yes.

Microsoft Word allows you to quickly insert sample text into a document. To
do this, type =rand() in the document where you want the text to appear, and
then press ENTER.

I tried it with empty parentheses, with numbers, inside Ctrl+F9 braces -
apparently every way but the correct way. Is there a Word option I've
turned off so Word won't do this? I'm using Word XP now, but it didn't do
it in Word 2000 either. It's no big deal, but I do wonder when Word won't
do some things that it's supposed to do.

"Ed" wrote in message
I'm using Word XP. I've never been able to get the =rand() thing to
work.
Is it inserted as a formula or special field or something?

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/DummyText.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Training Spec." wrote in

message
What's Word keyboard shortcut to insert a page of text? It appears to

be
in
Latin. It fills the page with the text. I've used it before but forgot

it
(and didn't write it down)!

Thanks,
--
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you type it at the beginning of an empty paragraph? Did you make sure to
include the equals sign? Note also that request of the original poster
(John) was for text that looks like Latin, which is the "lorem ipsum" text
described in the article as a superior solution.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Yes and yes. I know.

Never mind, really. It's not something I use now (obviously!), although I
could see a use for it if I could do it. It's more one of those little
annoyances when other things work but this one simple one won't (like the
one speed on your blender that's not really critical).

Thanks anyway, Suzanne. If you've got better things to do, don't worry
about this.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just tried it in Word 2003 and it worked for me; I can't swear that it
works in Word 2002, but I can't see why it would work in previous and
subsequent versions and not there. In fact KB 212251 ("How to insert sample
text into a document in Word") specifically says it applies to Word 2002.

Note that there are no spaces in the =rand() syntax. Also, according to the
KB article, "Word will not insert sample text when the insertion point
immediately follows either a PAGE BREAK or a COLUMN BREAK."

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

*sigh*
No dice. Not worth it.
~flush~

Thanks for helping, Suzanne. I have always appreciated your shared wisdom.

"Ed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It doesn't work if you've cleared the 'Replace text as you type' cehckbox.

"Ed" wrote in message
I'm using Word XP. I've never been able to get the =rand()
thing
work.
Is it inserted as a formula or special field or something?

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/DummyText.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.