Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allen Allen is offline

Default Fill-in prompt won't automatically display in Word 2007

In prior versions, a document could contain a "fill-in" field, and a prompt
would come up when the document opened.

I cannot get the prompts to display in Word 2007. I have to position the
cursor at the exact point of the field prompt (which can't be seen, by the
way) then press F9 to get the prompt to pop up so I can enter the data.

Does anyone know how to get the prompt to automatically appear, rather than
using the F9 key?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Are you sure the Fill-in field prompted when the document was opened? If so,
then I'd say a macro was used. The only time Fill-in fields prompt
automatically is when a new document based on a template containing the
fields is created.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton

What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

"Allen" wrote in message
In prior versions, a document could contain a "fill-in" field, and a
prompt
would come up when the document opened.

I cannot get the prompts to display in Word 2007. I have to position the
cursor at the exact point of the field prompt (which can't be seen, by the
way) then press F9 to get the prompt to pop up so I can enter the data.

Does anyone know how to get the prompt to automatically appear, rather
than
using the F9 key?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allen Allen is offline

Yes, the Fill-in field/s prompted sequentially when the document was opened
in Word 2003. The document was a template and the fields were created when I
created the template. You described exactly what I want, but cannot get
Word2007 to perfrom.

I've tried exactly the same procedure in Word 2007, but cannot get the
prompts to display automatically. I start with a new document, assign it as
a template, then start creating the text and Fill-in fields, in the same
manner that I would have created one in Word2003. The Fill-in fields will
not pop up. They will display, however, if the the template is an
unmodified Word2003 template when I open them with Word2007. I just cannot
create any new ones.

I need to continue creating templates in Word2007 for staff use, and it is
useless to have to use the cursor/F9 key to locate them, as they do not
always know what/where the data points might be located.

"Allen" wrote in message
In prior versions, a document could contain a "fill-in" field, and a
prompt
would come up when the document opened.

I cannot get the prompts to display in Word 2007. I have to position the
cursor at the exact point of the field prompt (which can't be seen, by the
way) then press F9 to get the prompt to pop up so I can enter the data.

Does anyone know how to get the prompt to automatically appear, rather
than
using the F9 key?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

After you create the template are you saving/closing and the using the
Office Button/New command? If you are opening the template using the Open
dialog box then the fields will not prompt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Allen" wrote in message
In prior versions, a document could contain a "fill-in" field, and a
prompt
would come up when the document opened.

I cannot get the prompts to display in Word 2007. I have to position
the
cursor at the exact point of the field prompt (which can't be seen, by
the
way) then press F9 to get the prompt to pop up so I can enter the data.

Does anyone know how to get the prompt to automatically appear, rather
than
using the F9 key?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allen Allen is offline

I could have sworn that was how I was using the documents, since I store them
in a folder linked to "My templates". I just tried a test document that way,
and it worked. Thank you. I'll post here again if I have further problems.