Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_3_] Paul B[_3_] is offline

Default Excluding string from search

Hi. I'd like to search for an expression using wildcards, but to
exclude a certain string.

I have the raw text:

DUBLIN, Ireland & TORONTO, Dec 21, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) --
Elan Corporation, plc (ELN
ELN
News, chart, profile, more

Delayed quote data
Sponsored by:
TTHI) (CA:TTH: news, chart, profile) today

I want to eliminate all parentheticals which offer remote
information, in this case everything from "(ELN" to "TTHI)".

So when I wildcard search for \(*Sponsored by:*\) I get a
"greedy" result - everything from (BUSINESS WIRE) on down.

Interestingly, subsequent clicking on Find Next trims the search
result's front end, causing it to jump to the next parenthesis.

What I'd like to do is exclude (BUSINESS WIRE) from the search. I
see a way to exclude characters but not strings. Am I missing
something, or is there another way to approach this?

Thanks,
p.