Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gary McGill

Default Problem with Textboxes

Hi,

I'm creating a document in Word 2000 (to be used in 2000 up to 2003). The
document has several pages with a 2-column layout, but for various reasons
I'm using textboxes to position the columns.

I've almost immediately hit a bizarre problem with my textboxes, which I've
reduced to the bare minimum so that I can post an example (at
www.electrum.co.uk/gary/bug.doc). The problem exhibits itself in Word 2000
and Word 2003 (haven't tried XP/2002).

Page 1 of the example document contains a single textbox, which has a
picture in it.
Page 2 contains a single textbox with some text in it.

To see the problem, make sure that Word is in Print Layout mode, then scroll
so that the textbox on the second page is visible, but the bottom of the
first page is also visible. Put the selection in the 2nd page textbox, and
try using the up/down arrow to move the selection. It doesn't work! Also,
the ruler (under the menu bar) is set up for the textbox on the first page,
despite the selection being in the textbox on the 2nd page! If you scroll
the window so that you can no longer see the bottom of the first page, then
the problem goes away...

I've discovered that if I resize the textbox on the first page to make it
bigger, then this cures the problem(!). However, I don't exactly feel
confident that I know what went wrong in the first place, or that this will
stop the problem re-occurring...

Anyone seen this, or have any idea what might be going wrong?

Gary