Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sara Verlinden

Default Unable to start up Word 2002

When starting Word in Windows XP, it either wants to start in Safe mode, or
it takes 30 minutes to start up. I have gone through the Microsoft support
page on troubleshooting (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259413/en-us)
without success. I have run the Office repair programme and have re-installed
everything, but still no changes. The only way to start up easily is through
the Run command with /a added to it. Is anybody able to help this poor
student?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See the article "Problems opening Word" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Sara Verlinden" Sara wrote in message
When starting Word in Windows XP, it either wants to start in Safe mode,
or
it takes 30 minutes to start up. I have gone through the Microsoft support
page on troubleshooting (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259413/en-us)
without success. I have run the Office repair programme and have
re-installed
everything, but still no changes. The only way to start up easily is
through
the Run command with /a added to it. Is anybody able to help this poor
student?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sara Verlinden

I have tried to follow the instructions but I can't find the Normal.dot file
on my computer. So I can't complete the instructions. Is it normal that I
don't have that file and is there anything else I can try to fix my problem?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See the article "Problems opening Word" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Sara Verlinden" Sara wrote in message
When starting Word in Windows XP, it either wants to start in Safe mode,
or
it takes 30 minutes to start up. I have gone through the Microsoft support
page on troubleshooting (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259413/en-us)
without success. I have run the Office repair programme and have
re-installed
everything, but still no changes. The only way to start up easily is
through
the Run command with /a added to it. Is anybody able to help this poor
student?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

By default, the Normal.Dot file will be located in the folder c:\Documents
and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. As the
Application Data is a hidden folder, you will need to select the Folder
Options item from the Tools menu in Windows Explorer and then go to the View
tab and check the "Show hidden files and folders" item. to be able to see
that folder.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sara Verlinden

I did find the normal.dot file (by checking "show hidden files"). I renamed it
and changed two registers (the data-file and the options-file). The first time
I started Word after the changes, Word opened properly. However, opening an
existing Word-file does not work. After that, even opening Word became
impossible. Any ideas?

Thanx!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

See the article "Problems opening Word" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Sara Verlinden" Sara wrote in message
When starting Word in Windows XP, it either wants to start in Safe mode,
or
it takes 30 minutes to start up. I have gone through the Microsoft support
page on troubleshooting (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259413/en-us)
without success. I have run the Office repair programme and have
re-installed
everything, but still no changes. The only way to start up easily is
through
the Run command with /a added to it. Is anybody able to help this poor
student?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I am not sure what you mean by "the data-file and the options-file". If you
once again rename normal.dot, can you start Word and create and save a NEW
document, close it and open it.