Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mogwai mogwai is offline

Default I get "W" with a line through when I type "\"

Word 2003, XP (SP2)

Hi,

Everytime I type "\" I get a struck-through capital "w".

I don't have "strike-through" enabled in the "Font" box (Format Font) or
the "Formatting" toolbar.

I don't have "Track Changes" enabled (Tools Track Changes; or the
"Reviewing" toolbar)

What do I have to do to disable whatever I've inadvertently enabled?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mogwai mogwai is offline

Hi,
Thanks.
Yes, I have checked it and there isn't a "\" entry. Sorry, I should have
mentioned it.

I've tried the AutoCorrect option (Tools AutoCorrect Optons) but the
problem doesn't seem to be an auto-correct feature. I can't use
"AutoCorrect"'s "Replace"/"With" feature to set Word to change the "W" back
to a \, as, in the "AutoCorrect" window, I no longer have the \W problem.
The \ key works perfectly well in the AutoCorrect pane.

When I use the \ key, in the main Word window in any document, I don't get a
\ at all - even if it's almost instantaneously changed to a "W" with a line
through it and I'm too slow to see the change.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you checked Tools | AutoCorrect Options to see if there is an entry for
\?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Immediately after it happens, click Edit in the menu, and see what it says
for Undo... Does it say Undo AutoCorrect, or something else? This is for
informational/diagnostic purposes.

When it happens, are you able to undo it by pressing Ctrl+Z?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you checked Tools | AutoCorrect Options to see if there is an entry
for
\?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mogwai mogwai is offline

Hi,

Under "Edit", it says "Undo Typing". Selecting it deletes what was written.
Pressing Ctrl+Z also deletes it.
Neither solve the problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you checked Tools | AutoCorrect Options to see if there is an entry
for
\?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It's beginning to sound like you're using a non-standard keyboard layout. In
the Windows Taskbar, is the language toolbar displayed? If so, right-click
it and choose settings, and see what keyboard is installed.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you checked Tools | AutoCorrect Options to see if there is an
entry
for
\?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mogwai mogwai is offline

I right-clicked the "EN" on the taskbar and it appears, as far as I can tell,
I'm using "English [United Kingdom]" with a U.K. keyboard layout.

I'm beginning to think this may be due to my installation of anti-rootkit
software as, to be honest, when I initially installed the two anti-rootkit
programs, my boot-up splash-screens changed and my keyboard ceased working
entirely. Unistalling them, re-booting and re-installing them rectified the
problems. For the past few weeks I've also had another problem with Word: I
continually have to re-set my page-setup defaults. This may also have the
same cause.

I'll uninstall the programs and re-install them and see if both Word
problems disappear.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

It's beginning to sound like you're using a non-standard keyboard layout. In
the Windows Taskbar, is the language toolbar displayed? If so, right-click
it and choose settings, and see what keyboard is installed.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Bradley Brian Bradley is offline

Look deeper in the configuration settings. I saw a setting for "Insert Yen
sign when pressing \." I know the Yen sign is a Y with a little half-bar,
but maybe the font you're using is translating it a little differently. So
maybe that setting has been checked.

I'm awful sorry, I'm new to Word 2007, and I only saw it in passing while
trying to look at the monstrous number of settings available, so I'm not
sure exactly where this setting is, and I am not at my office, but I really
think it is in the compatability settings.

Be sure to let us konw what you find out.
"mogwai" wrote in message
Word 2003, XP (SP2)

Hi,

Everytime I type "\" I get a struck-through capital "w".

I don't have "strike-through" enabled in the "Font" box (Format Font) or
the "Formatting" toolbar.

I don't have "Track Changes" enabled (Tools Track Changes; or the
"Reviewing" toolbar)

What do I have to do to disable whatever I've inadvertently enabled?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mogwai mogwai is offline

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've managed to solve the problem; in the
nick of time, also. I was contemplating throwing the computer out of the
window.

Although this relates to a different question, I followed the advice he
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/D...9/default.mspx.

The Reverse Solidus (a.k.a. back-slash) was being replaced with the Korean
Won (currency) symbol. In the "Supplemental language support" box (Control
Panel "...Regional Options" "Regional and Language Options"
"Languages") I removed Word's support for right-to-left languages and East
Asian languages, re-booted and the problem was no more.

I don't know what the consequences of this will be - if any - and I'm sure
there was an easier solution to the problem, but not one I could find.

Thanks to everyone who offered help.

"Brian Bradley" wrote:

Look deeper in the configuration settings. I saw a setting for "Insert Yen
sign when pressing \." I know the Yen sign is a Y with a little half-bar,
but maybe the font you're using is translating it a little differently. So
maybe that setting has been checked.

I'm awful sorry, I'm new to Word 2007, and I only saw it in passing while
trying to look at the monstrous number of settings available, so I'm not
sure exactly where this setting is, and I am not at my office, but I really
think it is in the compatability settings.

Be sure to let us konw what you find out.

robinrobin robinrobin is offline
Junior Member

This was happening to me and I noticed something had changed my font to @Batang. With this font all other letters appear normal and only this key is changed. Weird. Changed font and everything was back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai View Post