Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave

Default Keep margin marks to show changes since last revision

After others have had input to a document and 'track changes' has been used,
I want to accept the changes but also be able to indicate what has changed
since it was last issued. In many official documents, this is done by the
margin marks. This is what I would like to use.

However, once the changes are accepted, the margin mark format is removed.
Is there any way to retain this so that I can show what has changed since the
last official revision of the document?

Thanks,

Dave.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi Dave,

Word's tracked-change margin markers are just that - you can't have them
without any tracked changes. I create & update user manuals and
documentation using this all the time. It's great for creating pdfs with the
(significant) additions in red, plus the margin markers. For the doco I
produce, we hide deletions, but you can have them shown too, if you want. If
you don't want the tracked change colouring, you can turn it off or, for
printed documents, you might set 'print colors as black on non-color
printers (see under Tools|Options|Compatibility).

Cheers

"Dave" wrote in message
After others have had input to a document and 'track changes' has been

used,
I want to accept the changes but also be able to indicate what has changed
since it was last issued. In many official documents, this is done by the
margin marks. This is what I would like to use.

However, once the changes are accepted, the margin mark format is removed.
Is there any way to retain this so that I can show what has changed since

the
last official revision of the document?

Thanks,

Dave.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave

Thanks for your reply. However, when I change these settings (I am using Word
2000) it changes them for all documents. So if I want to use the default
track changes settings for tracking changes, then change these settings to
show only the margin markers when a document is finalised, all other
documents with track changes will also show only the margin markers.
Likewise, when I revert back to the default settings, then open the already
finalised and saved document, it appears with all the default settings.

Am I missing something?

I hope I have explained this clearly enough.

Dave.

"Dave" wrote in message
After others have had input to a document and 'track changes' has been

used,
I want to accept the changes but also be able to indicate what has changed
since it was last issued. In many official documents, this is done by the
margin marks. This is what I would like to use.

However, once the changes are accepted, the margin mark format is removed.
Is there any way to retain this so that I can show what has changed since

the
last official revision of the document?

Thanks,

Dave.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi Dave,

Sounds about right. If you don't like that behaviour, you could use a auto
macro in the document to capture the current settings on opening & apply the
ones you want, then another macro restore the original ones upon closing.
Could be a lot of work (and stress) to get multiple documents with such code
working in harmony, though.

Cheers