Karen

Default Opening Docs in word 2003

Up until a couple of weeks ago I've been able to open a saved word document
in word. Now the only way I can open any saved word document is by opening
with Internet Explorer. I haven't made any changes to my configuration. I'd
love to get it back to opening in word. Thank you.
CyberTaz

What happens when you try?

Is this a _new_ installation of Word that hasn't yet been
'activated/registered' or a Test Drive (trial) copy that has expired?

Regards |:)

"Karen" wrote:

Up until a couple of weeks ago I've been able to open a saved word document
in word. Now the only way I can open any saved word document is by opening
with Internet Explorer. I haven't made any changes to my configuration. I'd
love to get it back to opening in word. Thank you.

Karen

Thank you Graham. I've checked out the links you have provided but I don't
see anything that refers to my particular problem. I don't believe word has
"crashed" as such. I just can't open documents with word; I'm having to go
to open with "internet explorer". In addition, when I receive an e-mail with
a word attachment it won't open when I double click on it. I get an error
that says the file cannot be found. I need to save the file then open with
"internet explorer". I appreciate any direction that you can give me.

Thanks!

"Karen" wrote:

Up until a couple of weeks ago I've been able to open a saved word
document in word. Now the only way I can open any saved word
document is by opening with Internet Explorer. I haven't made any
changes to my configuration. I'd love to get it back to opening in
word. Thank you.

CyberTaz

Hi karen-

Sorry Graham's suggestions didn't pan out, but maybe we need to clarify a
few points.

What version of Word, Windows & IE are you using? You mentoned something
about "2 years", but Word 03 hasn't been out that long.

If you launch Word & use FileOpen, are you able to open the files? Do the
file icons look like Word icons (big blue W)? If you open a folder on your
desktop & hover your pointer over a Word doc, what does the tip box contain?

Regards |:)

"Karen" wrote:

Up until a couple of weeks ago I've been able to open a saved word
document in word. Now the only way I can open any saved word
document is by opening with Internet Explorer. I haven't made any
changes to my configuration. I'd love to get it back to opening in
word. Thank you.

Karen

I'm using Microsoft Office Word 2003. I've been advised this computer and
software were installed early to mid 2004. This is a full working version
not a trial as previously asked.

It does work if I launch word and open the documents from File open. The
icons on the desktop and in the file listings are all word with the W. When
I hover over an icon on the desktop the following is in the tip box:

Type: Microsoft Word Document
Author: Your User Name
Title: This is blank
Date Modified:
Size:

I'd sure love to be able to double click on an icon and have it open rather
than going through all the extra steps.

Thanks for your assistance!

Karen

"Karen" wrote:

Up until a couple of weeks ago I've been able to open a saved word
document in word. Now the only way I can open any saved word
document is by opening with Internet Explorer. I haven't made any
changes to my configuration. I'd love to get it back to opening in
word. Thank you.

Graham Mayor

Assuming you have checked for orphan files as detailed in the 'crash' link
and removed any that are found (orphan files can prevent documents opening)
then we can move on from there.

From the further information you have provided you probably simply need to
re-register Word -
How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

"Karen" wrote:

Up until a couple of weeks ago I've been able to open a saved word
document in word. Now the only way I can open any saved word
document is by opening with Internet Explorer. I haven't made any
changes to my configuration. I'd love to get it back to opening
in word. Thank you.

Karen

Thank you Graham and Cyber for your assistance. I decided to try a system
restore and things seem to be working fine now. I appreciate the time and
thought you've spent on my problem.

Regards,

Karen

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Assuming you have checked for orphan files as detailed in the 'crash' link
and removed any that are found (orphan files can prevent documents opening)
then we can move on from there.

From the further information you have provided you probably simply need to