Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Default Normal.dot and Virus Warning

Apparently not

Charles Kenyon wrote:
I've been using the paid version of AVG since December without
noticing problems. Have I been missing something?

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
The virus scan message comes not from Word but from linked anti-virus
software. Checking of Word/Office documents can usually be
deselected in the AV program e.g. in Norton AV by turning off its
Office Plug-in. With some versions of the Norton product it may be
necessary to
unregister the calling DLL by running the following command line
from Windows Start Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Other AV apps eg the popular free ediition of Grisoft's AVG antivirus
software, require similar treatment.
In this instance:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"

Nick wrote:
Yes, it's from Word, it says something like this:

"An AntiVirus Program on your computer has reported a virus in this
document. This could be caused by the virus software being out of
date....."
Even if I create a brand new document, save it (and get prompted
about Normal.dot) as soon as I save the new doc, I can not open it!

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
Are you sure it's coming from Word? Word doesn't do virus checking.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Nick" wrote in message
Thanks..I'll try the advice on that link. I still wonder why Word
reports a virus, even if I temporarily disable the virus software,
the warning comes from Word (Office) it self!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See "Word prompts me to save changes to the Normal.dot template"

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Nick" wrote in message
This is a strange one.

Just installed Office 2003 on my new laptop. Old laptop was
stolen At first everything was fine but now if I open Word,
or a document in Word
two things happen:

1: Everytime I close Word, no matter what, it asks to replace
Normal.dot

2: Every document I open, or TRY to open, whether Word or any
other Office
app, I get a warning saying a virus program on my computer has
detected a
virus in that document and I am not allowed to open.
Effectively I can no longer access ANY of my Word (or any other
types) of
document.

I seriously need advice on this.

Thanks in advance