DJR

Default Show formatting marks in a different color?

Hello,

I find it to be very useful to show the formatting marks as I work. The
only problem is that when I work in black (as I almost always do) I can't
easily distinguish between the period with which I end a sentence and the
formatting mark indicating a space. Is there a way to change the color in
which formatting marks appear (or can anyone suggest another solution which
will not change the way my document actually prints)?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
Teatro

DJR-
I have encountered this problem myself. There are 2 things I do to work
around them (Word 2000):

1. I zoom in on the document to 125% (sometimes as high as 200%, depending
on the font size I'm working with) on the Standard toolbar.
2. I sometimes change the page display to blue background/white text.
ToolsOptionsGeneral tab, then click in the box that says blue background,
white text. I find the contrast this change provides makes it easier to
distinguish between periods and spaces.

Neither of these changes will change the way your document prints, and you
can easily undo these changes if you want.

HTH
Teatro
"DJR" wrote:

Hello,

I find it to be very useful to show the formatting marks as I work. The
only problem is that when I work in black (as I almost always do) I can't
easily distinguish between the period with which I end a sentence and the
formatting mark indicating a space. Is there a way to change the color in
which formatting marks appear (or can anyone suggest another solution which
will not change the way my document actually prints)?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

DJR

Thank you, Teatro, for your suggestion. Unfortunately, one of my favorite
fonts, even at high magnification (or with blue display, which I had never
tried before), just doesn't seem to have any difference between the
appearance of a 'space' and a period. When it's really important, I can
toggle whether I display the formatting marks, but it is inconvenient.

Maybe I'll just have to switch fonts (I hope not!)...

"DJR" wrote:

Hello,

I find it to be very useful to show the formatting marks as I work. The
only problem is that when I work in black (as I almost always do) I can't
easily distinguish between the period with which I end a sentence and the
formatting mark indicating a space. Is there a way to change the color in
which formatting marks appear (or can anyone suggest another solution which
will not change the way my document actually prints)?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Shauna Kelly

Hi DJR

You can toggle the display of formatting marks on and off with ctrl-Shift-8
(ie ctrl-*). Do that six times and you'll get so good at it that you'll be
able to switch back and forth very rapidly.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word