Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mad as hell mad as hell is offline

Default convert bibliography to static text

I am unable to convert my bibliography to statis text even after following
all of the MS suggestions and updates. Any help? and WHy is it formated
centered instead of Left for the first line and indented for the rest of a
reference?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you use Alt+F9 in your document after using 'convert to static text' do you see the same text or do you see {BIBLIOGRAPHY}. If
you see the same text when using the Alt+F9 toggle then it has been converted. It will still be in a Word content control (blue
frame) and can be copied outside of the content control. If you then use 'Update Citations and Bibliography' on the top of the
control the static text in the content control will be replaced with the Bibliography field content and the 'Update Citations and
Bibliography at the top of the control (which should no longer be visible, but is, no longer functions. To update the Bibliography
control again to update to match your Current List from Manage Sources (in case you made changes), reapply a Bibliography gallery
choice.

The formatting (font/positioning) of the text is dependent on the Word style and formatting you apply to the text from the Home tab.
By default, the two built in gallery entries use Heading 1 paragraph style for the title line and the Bibliography paragraph style
for the content entries.

=================
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mad as hell[_2_] mad as hell[_2_] is offline

What, It hit alt F9 but the screen shakes and goes back one page butother
than that it appears to do nothing. What else can I do? I want it to be
static because I do not want it to change any of the content. However I am
ging to make manual changes in someof the citations because they are not
adding a title to differentiate between multiple works by same author in same
year.

"mad as hell" wrote:

I am unable to convert my bibliography to statis text even after following
all of the MS suggestions and updates. Any help? and WHy is it formated
centered instead of Left for the first line and indented for the rest of a
reference?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

While the cursor was inside the blue actetate layer frame of the Bibliography content control, did you use the drop down at the top
left of that control and choose the Convert to Static Text choice?

If so, then while you're in the Bibliography content control, if you next use Alt+F9 nothing should happen and it shouldn't jump
pages.

If it is jumping a page after converstion then you may have a 3rd party add-in conflicting.

When the content is static text it's just that, editable document text.

Another way of doing it, but that can make other changes in the document, is to save the file as a Word97-2003 document, then use
Office Button=Convert to reactivate the Word 2007 features. Once you save as Word97-2003 format the Bibliography fields are
permanently static text.

The Bibliography field is basically a merge control. It takes the current list entries from Manage sources and puts them into
individual paragraphs within the content control it inserts in the document. The processing of what elements are included are
defined by apply the .XSL (style sheet) for the particular Bibliography style you select. It appears that without modifying the
transform definitions of a particular Bibliography Style (or creating your own) as described he
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...ions-1011.aspx

that the only Bib-Style that presently supresses repeating the author name for two Journal Articles (for example) is the MLA style,
and then only based on the author name not based on publication year.

It might be possible to build a set of {If } conditions into a gallery that would process the Bibliography field contents or to
achieve the same result by creating a merge document and using the Sources.xml file as a data source (but that would probably
require an XSL Transform or conversion of the XML to another data format that Word 2007's Mailings tab Mailmerge tools will
recognize as a data source.