Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
krupscafe krupscafe is offline

Default Disable automatic date/time update

The date in a document that has been entered as an auto insert, automatically
updates each time I open the document. I have unchecked the auto update box,
however, it continues to update.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The "Automatically update" check box in the Insert | Date and Time dialog
applies only to a date that you insert from that dialog when that box is
checked or unchecked. It has no bearing on previously inserted dates. If you
use the Alt+Shift+D shortcut or the Insert Date button on the Header and
Footer toolbar, either will insert a DATE field. If you don't want the field
to update, insert a CREATEDATE field instead (or edit the DATE field to
change it to CREATEDATE). A CREATEDATE field is what you should have in your
template as well. If you insert a date field in error, you can unlink it
using Ctrl+Shift+F9, but this will not restore the original date if the
field has already updated; only changing it to CREATEDATE will do that.

For more on date fields, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/DateFields.htm

"krupscafe" wrote in message
The date in a document that has been entered as an auto insert,

automatically
updates each time I open the document. I have unchecked the auto update

box,
however, it continues to update.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sid Sid is offline

Actually, if you want to retrieve the original date and then change the
field, select your auto updating field, go to 'insert field' and choose
'create date or save date etc' and then your date will revert back to the
original date and then you just follow the instructiions that Suzanne has
given below.

"krupscafe" wrote in message
The date in a document that has been entered as an auto insert,

automatically
updates each time I open the document. I have unchecked the auto update

box,
however, it continues to update.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The instructions I gave provide a way to change the automatically updating
DATE field to a CREATEDATE field by direct editing, which is much simpler
than using Insert | Field. All you have to do is press Alt+F9, change DATE
to CREATEDATE, then Alt+F9 again and F9 to update.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.