Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rkbristol

Default Problem with starting page numbering on page 3

Please help, I need to turn this paper in.

I have a 70 page paper and I want page 3 to be labeled ats page 1. I placed
a "next page" section break at the beginning of page 3 and then used insert,
page numbers. I selected Header, alignment right, then clicked on format,
page numbering, start at and choose 1. After clicking ok the document shows
the documents actual page 2 as page 8, actual page 5 as page 4 and then
continues in sequence.

I don't want actual pages 1-3 to have any numbering. I want page 3 to start
numbering as page 1 and then go sequentially. I'm not sure what I've done
wrong.

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"rkbristol" wrote in message
Please help, I need to turn this paper in.

I have a 70 page paper and I want page 3 to be labeled ats page 1. I
placed
a "next page" section break at the beginning of page 3 and then used
insert,
page numbers. I selected Header, alignment right, then clicked on format,
page numbering, start at and choose 1. After clicking ok the document
shows
the documents actual page 2 as page 8, actual page 5 as page 4 and then
continues in sequence.

I don't want actual pages 1-3 to have any numbering. I want page 3 to
start
numbering as page 1 and then go sequentially. I'm not sure what I've done
wrong.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rkbristol

I've managed to get the section break to work with subsequent pages now
properly numbered starting with page 3. However, I have one "rogue" page
that is oddly numbered. The actual page 2 of the document has a "4" in the
header. No page number should appear on page 1 and 2 (they are in section
1). As I said, the numbering now starts properly on page 3 (section 2) and
is labeled as page 1.

I don't know why "4" appears on page 2 and when I try to delete it, all of
the numbering is removed from section 2 as well.

??

"rkbristol" wrote:

Please help, I need to turn this paper in.

I have a 70 page paper and I want page 3 to be labeled ats page 1. I placed
a "next page" section break at the beginning of page 3 and then used insert,
page numbers. I selected Header, alignment right, then clicked on format,
page numbering, start at and choose 1. After clicking ok the document shows
the documents actual page 2 as page 8, actual page 5 as page 4 and then
continues in sequence.

I don't want actual pages 1-3 to have any numbering. I want page 3 to start
numbering as page 1 and then go sequentially. I'm not sure what I've done
wrong.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rkbristol

I apologize for my ignorance and appreciate your suggestion but I don't know
how to get to the menu where I can perform the unlink.

Can you help please?

"rkbristol" wrote:

Please help, I need to turn this paper in.

I have a 70 page paper and I want page 3 to be labeled ats page 1. I

placed
a "next page" section break at the beginning of page 3 and then used

insert,
page numbers. I selected Header, alignment right, then clicked on

format,
page numbering, start at and choose 1. After clicking ok the document

shows
the documents actual page 2 as page 8, actual page 5 as page 4 and then
continues in sequence.

I don't want actual pages 1-3 to have any numbering. I want page 3 to

start
numbering as page 1 and then go sequentially. I'm not sure what I've

done
wrong.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The button is on the Header and Footer toolbar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Unlink the header in section 2 from the one in section 1 (by clicking

the
Link to Previous button to turn it off). Then delete the page number.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"rkbristol" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
rkbristol

Suzanne - thanks but I'm still having a problem. The heading/footer toolbar
doesn't have an icon for "link to previous". I opened the toolbar
customization and found the "link to previous" command button and was able to
add it to my main menu bar but couldn't add it to the header/footer toolbar.

In my main menu bar it is inactive and "grayed out". I just can't seem to
get to it.

I appreciate your responses and could really use some more help.

Thanks,
Robert

"rkbristol" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To add buttons to the Header and Footer toolbar, you must have the Header
pane open when you open the Customize dialog. In some versions, the button
is called Same as Previous. It will be grayed out if (a) you are in section
1 or (b) your document has only one section.

news