Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Felix Felix is offline

Default Problem automatically inserting "This page is intentionally blank.

Hello,

We have some procedures documents and manuals that use odd-page section
breaks to separate chapters. Obviously, when a chapter ends on an odd page,
Word adds a completely blank page before the next chapter. In order to
eliminate this problem, we'd like to add a page with the mention "This page
is intentionally blank." at the end of any chapter with an odd page count.

I found a great article on the MVPs site by John McGhie:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/TblsFldsFm...nPgEndChap.htm

It works great on some of our documents, but on others there is a problem.
Some of our documents use section page numbering. I'm not 100% certain of
exactly what's happening, but I'm pretty sure that the MOD operator is
misinterpreting the page numbers. For example, if my chapter ends on page
1-5, the MOD operator seems to be calculating 1 minus 5 = -4 and dividing
that by two, which returns the result "0" instead of "1". I've also tried an
alternate method using the INT operator I found on word.tips.net:

http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001870_A...Sect ion.html

This didn't work either. I've been racking my brain trying to find a
solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions (short of changing the
page-numbering scheme)?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Felix Felix is offline

BTW, please, no sick jokes on the fact that adding "This page is
intentionally blank" means the page is no longer blank... ;-)

"Felix" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Felix,

Instead of using 'Odd Page' Section breaks, you could use normal 'Next Page' Section breaks and the following field code at the end
of the very last paragraph in each Section:
{IF{=MOD({PAGE},2)}= 1 "{QUOTE 12}¶
This page intentionally left blank¶
"}
This code will automatically insert an blank even-numbered page, with the message 'This page intentionally left blank' if the page
on which it occurs is an odd-numbered page. You can format the paragraph within the field containing the 'This page intentionally
left blank' message however you like.

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message. Likewise the '¶' symbols represent standard paragraph breaks.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Felix" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike Middleton Mike Middleton is offline

Felix -

BTW, please, no sick jokes on the fact that adding "This page is
intentionally blank" means the page is no longer blank... ;-)

In an attempt to take advantage of the possible "sick joke," on one
self-published draft, I used "This page is intentionally mostly blank."

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Felix Felix is offline

Default Problem automatically inserting "This page is intentionally bl

Thanks for the tip macropod, but odd-page sections breaks aren't the issue
here. The problem lies in the page numbering scheme I'm using. I need a
different way to count the number of pages in the document to up to that
point...

"Felix" wrote in message ...
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Felix Felix is offline

Finally figured it out on my own:

I used the SECTIONPAGES field instead of the PAGE field... (as I give myself
a big pat on the back...;-).