Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sergei Shelukhin Sergei Shelukhin is offline

Default two lists on the same level (restart numbering)

Hi. How do I make Word 2007 stop the list and start another one on the
same level?
The setup is like this:
Blah blah blah:
1. blah
2. blah
3. blah
And blah blah blah:
1. blah
2. blah

Word stubbornly insists on starting the 2nd list at 4, how do I tell it
that the first list has ended and it's the different list??

In Word 2003, restart numbering at one worked; now it doesn't, and if I
use the context menu item about explicitly specifying the number to
restart at, word automatically moves the list to some other sub-list
level and changes number format. If I change the format back, it
changes the numbering back to "from 4" which is very annoying, a lot of
manual manipulations with formats and indents are required to set it
up. Is there any way to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can use a { LISTNUM \L 1 \s 0 } field to restart numbering. Insert
it at the *end* of each "sub-list."

To insert the field: Press Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters,
{ }. Then type the code as shown above. Press F9.

Obviously, you don't want the field to print. To prevent this from
happening, select and format it as hidden text.

For this and other methods, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artMethods.htm (note that
the article hasn't been updated for Word 07 yet).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sergei Shelukhin" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Sergei,

How do I make Word 2007 stop the list and start another one on the
same level?
The setup is like this:
Blah blah blah:
1. blah
2. blah
3. blah
And blah blah blah:
1. blah
2. blah

Word stubbornly insists on starting the 2nd list at 4, how do I tell it
that the first list has ended and it's the different list??

Well, if I start in a new Word 2007 document, type the text, select the
first list and click the Numbering button, then select the second list
and click the button again...

The second list starts at 1, all by itself. An AutoCorrect options button
appears at the left with the option to Continue Numbering. I can switch
back and forth as much as I wish.

What steps are you using to create the lists?

In Word 2003, restart numbering at one worked; now it doesn't, and if I
use the context menu item about explicitly specifying the number to
restart at, word automatically moves the list to some other sub-list
level and changes number format. If I change the format back, it
changes the numbering back to "from 4" which is very annoying, a lot of
manual manipulations with formats and indents are required to set it
up. Is there any way to fix this?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sergei Shelukhin Sergei Shelukhin is offline

In this case I am editing a 20-page document with lots of lists so the
procedure is not very orderly.
Usually I just type text in sequence, but sometimes I want to copy
paste items from one list to another or insert a list in the middle of
text with some lists existing above and below.
Word however usually refuses to behave even in the most simple scenario
(typing in sequence) and I can't discern any logic behind when it does
work correctly and when it doesn't; I'm using a trick from the 2nd post