Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Xi Shi

Default paragraph marks don't display properly

When I use Word at fisrt time after its installation, the paragraph marks
showed like a bended arrow. But after I installed other programs,the marks
turned to the character like "¶".How can I change back to the arrow?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:15:02 -0800, Xi Shi
wrote:

When I use Word at fisrt time after its installation, the paragraph marks
showed like a bended arrow. But after I installed other programs,the marks
turned to the character like "¶".How can I change back to the arrow?

The bent arrow indicates a manual line break, entered by holding down
the Shift key while you press Enter. This character does not end the
current paragraph, so the line containing the break and the next line
are part of the same paragraph (for purposes of applying paragraph
formatting and paragraph styles).

The ¶ character indicates a paragraph break; the line after the
character is a different paragraph than the line containing the
character. These paragraphs can therefore have different paragraph
formatting and/or different paragraph styles.

I don't know of anything external to Word that could change line
breaks into paragraph marks. You can do it within Word with a Replace
operation, but I think you'd know if you did that.

If you really want to change to line breaks, open the Replace dialog,
enter the code

^p

in the Find box and the code

^l

(that's a lower case ell) in the Replace box, and click the Replace
All button.

You should understand, though, that this will make your entire
document into one huge paragraph. If you change the paragraph
formatting or the style anywhere in the document, it will change the
entire document. I don't think this is really what you want.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman