Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Default Word Clipboard Toolbar Always Docks Itself

I hope somebody can solve this. I use Word 2000 (9.0, 3821 SR-1) and use the
*floating* Clipboard toolbar a lot in my work. Somehow - I don't know how -
the Clipboard toolbar now docks itself automatically, so that every time I
close and reopen Word, and then press Ctrl-C twice to display the Clipboard
toolbar, it appears docked above the formatting toolbar. I then have to drag
it down beside my document to see and use its 12 cells. Since I have to do
this again and again, this is getting old!

I've tried Detect & Repair, and have scoured the internet for a solution,
without luck. I found someone who told people how to get Word 2000 to dock
its Clipboard toolbar *permanently* by going to Control Panel Accessibility
Options and click on "Show extra keyboard help in program". That box isn't
checked.

I have tried installing a backup copy I made of Word's normal.dot, in case
this has been corrupted, but this didn't help, either.

Thanks very much for any suggestions!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

In the past several weeks, I've tried to solve this problem in other ways,
and am getting nowhere. Every single new document I open displays with the
Clipboard toolbar in docked position, so once I drag it down so I can see the
12 cells and use it in one document, this doesn't carry over to other
documents, already opened or not. I have to drag the Clipboard toolbar to
undock it _in every single document_ to get it to float there. Since I use
this feature many times every day, this is a real hassle. If anyone can help,
I'd surely appreciate it!

"Owl1" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Word *should* remember where you last had the toolbar. Off the top of my
head, I believe details are stored in the Word Data key in the registry. Is
this just a problem with the Clipboard toolbar, or do all toolbars behave in
the same way? If it's all toolbars, then are you perhaps in a corporate
environment where your settings may be overridden by over-enthusiastic
techies? If it's just the one toolbar, I can think of no obvious reason,
perhaps the data key is corrupt; it would be worth trying to rename it (and
letting Word create a new one) to see if that solves the problem.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Owl1" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Tony - Thanks very much for posting some suggestions. I'd really like to
solve this. The problem probably doesn't sound important to most people, but
I'm a professional writer and use this feature a lot.

Word is definitely *not* remembering that the Clipboard toolbar was floating
when Word closes. I've tried many times to impress this on its memory, but no
luck!

None of the other Word toolbars has any problems. I'm not in a corporate
environment and am the only user of this computer.

Could you tell me how to check to see if the data key is corrupted, or how
to force Word to create a new one? I'm not experienced *at all* with regedit!

Many thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Take care in the Registry. If you're unsure about anything, don't do it.

Renaming keys and values, rather than deleting them, is non-destructive, and
allows you to rename them back afterwards. I usually add a ! character to
the end of the name - that way it stays in alphabetic order but is obvious
to see. That is, though, just a suggestion and you can do as you wish.

Navigate, using the left hand panel, to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Wo rd\Data

In the right hand panel there should be 3 values: Default, Settings, and
Toolbars. Select Toolbars and rename it (right click and select Rename, or
press F2, Edit the name, and press Enter to commit)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Owl1" wrote in message
Tony - Thanks very much for posting some suggestions. I'd really like to
solve this. The problem probably doesn't sound important to most people,
but
I'm a professional writer and use this feature a lot.

Word is definitely *not* remembering that the Clipboard toolbar was
floating
when Word closes. I've tried many times to impress this on its memory, but
no
luck!

None of the other Word toolbars has any problems. I'm not in a corporate
environment and am the only user of this computer.

Could you tell me how to check to see if the data key is corrupted, or how
to force Word to create a new one? I'm not experienced *at all* with
regedit!

Many thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

I followed your directions (very clear - thanks!): I navigated to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Wo rd\Data, renamed Toolbars
to OldToolbars!, hit Enter, restarted the computer, opened Word, found that
the Standard and Formatting Toolbars now showed up on one line, hit Ctrl-C
twice, and there -- in front of God, me, and everyone! -- Word displayed the
Clipboard toolbar _docked_, as usual! I dragged it so it would float, closed
Word, re-opened Word, and it was again docked.

You're good to offer some help, which I immensely appreciate. If you have
any other ideas, I'll gladly try them.

"Owl1" wrote in message
Tony - Thanks very much for posting some suggestions. I'd really like to
solve this. The problem probably doesn't sound important to most people,
but
I'm a professional writer and use this feature a lot.

Word is definitely *not* remembering that the Clipboard toolbar was
floating
when Word closes. I've tried many times to impress this on its memory, but
no
luck!

None of the other Word toolbars has any problems. I'm not in a corporate
environment and am the only user of this computer.

Could you tell me how to check to see if the data key is corrupted, or how
to force Word to create a new one? I'm not experienced *at all* with
regedit!

Many thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Owl1 wrote:

I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word versions)
however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user template
folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text space and
delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

(When Graham says "Explorer," he means "(My) Computer." Folks who have
been using Windows for many years don't realize that more recent users
aren't aware of the name "Explorer" having been used for anything
other than the internet access tool.)

On May 31, 1:22*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word versions)
however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user template
folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text space and
delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Windows Explorer (Windows XP) Windows Vista Explorer (Vista) and Internet
Explorer all have an address bar and will work just the same. They are
merely access points into the Windows filing system.

Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word
versions) however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user
template folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text
space and delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And where on one's computer, praytell, will one find something labeled
"Windows Explorer" or "Windows Vista Explorer"? Not in the Start menu
or in the Start All Programs menu.

My point in several messages these last few days is that the experts
are giving vague hints that will only require the OPs to post again
asking what they mean (as happens very often), instead of explicit
instructions the first time.

Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word
versions) however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user
template folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text
space and delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, if you right-click on the Start button (at least in Windows XP and
2000), one of the menu items is "Explore."

http://word.mvps.org

Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word
versions) however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user
template folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text
space and delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Vista, too. It brings up what seems to be the same window as
"Computer" -- (a) with an extra click, and (b) why would someone think
of right-clicking on the Start button?, and (c) that's not "Explorer."

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word
versions) however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user
template folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text
space and delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Explore is also one of the options if you right-click My Computer on the
desktop. You use the Explorer to Explore.

http://word.mvps.org

Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word
versions) however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user
template folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text
space and delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah -- we've found another difference in Vista. There's no "Computer"
on the Desktop.

But if right-clicking on My Computer and choosing Explore gives the
same result as clicking directly on My Computer, what's the point?

Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word
versions) however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user
template folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text
space and delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There's actually a subtle difference. The default action when you
double-click on My Computer is Open, which (at least in my copy of Windows
XP) opens a window with a blue panel on the left with System Tasks, Other
Places, and Details. Explore, OTOH, opens the same Explorer window as I get
with WinKey+E, with a folder tree in the left panel, the same view you get
if you click the Folders button in the window opened by double-clicking on
the icon (the Folders button toggles between these two views).

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and
it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word
versions) however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user
template folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text
space and delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
---

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Start All Programs Accessories Windows Explorer

The name "Explorer" is fairly well established although there may be some
users who don't recognise it - or confuse it with Internet Explorer
(although you can browse your computer with IE if you want). Microsoft
terminology can have a tendency to confuse but it simply isn't possible to
give details for all possible scenarios. The OP does have the ability to ask
for more detail if there is something he doesn't understand, but I suspect a
user of Word 2000 probably knows what Explorer is.

In this instance the Explorer one, perhaps, wants to use is the Word Open
Dialog; going via My Computer is a long way round.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

Owl1 wrote:
I dragged it so it would float, closed Word, re-opened Word, and it
was again docked.

It should stay where you left it (and certainly does in later Word
versions) however try the following.

Open the Normal template. If you have not changed the default user
template folder, you will find the template in the folder
%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Enter or copy the above into the Explorer address bar.

Move the toolbar to where you want it. Add a character to the text
space and delete it. Save and close the template.

Close and re-open Word. Is the toolbar now where you left it?

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Thank you for your suggestion, Graham, but it didn't work. I did what you
recommended: I opened Normal.dot, moved the Clipboard toolbar from its
obsessive docked position so it would float normally, added a text space to
the document and then deleted it, save the result, closed Normal.dot, closed
Word, re-opened Word, hit Ctrl-C twice, and, lo!, the Clipboard toolbar was
RIGHT BACK IN ITS DOCKED POSITION.

To say this is frustrating is an understatement! I very much appreciate your
thinking about this and offering any ideas. I'm more than willing to try any
suggestions. Many thanks, again.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Default toolbar positions are held in the registry; customizations are held
in templates or documents. I am not aware of any other data held anywhere
that affects this.

Do you get the same result if you start Word in safe mode - hold down Ctrl
while opening Word?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Owl1" wrote in message
Thank you for your suggestion, Graham, but it didn't work. I did what you
recommended: I opened Normal.dot, moved the Clipboard toolbar from its
obsessive docked position so it would float normally, added a text space
the document and then deleted it, save the result, closed Normal.dot,
closed
Word, re-opened Word, hit Ctrl-C twice, and, lo!, the Clipboard toolbar
was
RIGHT BACK IN ITS DOCKED POSITION.

To say this is frustrating is an understatement! I very much appreciate
your
thinking about this and offering any ideas. I'm more than willing to try
any
suggestions. Many thanks, again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Hmmm. As you have tried the more obvious things, I wonder if this was a
limitation of Word 2000, fixed in later versions? Certainly with Word 2003
it stays where you put it.

Owl1 wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion, Graham, but it didn't work. I did what
you recommended: I opened Normal.dot, moved the Clipboard toolbar
from its obsessive docked position so it would float normally, added
a text space to the document and then deleted it, save the result,
closed Normal.dot, closed Word, re-opened Word, hit Ctrl-C twice,
and, lo!, the Clipboard toolbar was RIGHT BACK IN ITS DOCKED POSITION.

To say this is frustrating is an understatement! I very much
appreciate your thinking about this and offering any ideas. I'm more
than willing to try any suggestions. Many thanks, again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

To some extent what happens after 2000 is irrelevant, as it became a Task
Pane. But there is no limitation - it used to work for Owl1, and still works
for me.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

Owl1 wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion, Graham, but it didn't work. I did what
you recommended: I opened Normal.dot, moved the Clipboard toolbar
from its obsessive docked position so it would float normally, added
a text space to the document and then deleted it, save the result,
closed Normal.dot, closed Word, re-opened Word, hit Ctrl-C twice,
and, lo!, the Clipboard toolbar was RIGHT BACK IN ITS DOCKED POSITION.

To say this is frustrating is an understatement! I very much
appreciate your thinking about this and offering any ideas. I'm more
than willing to try any suggestions. Many thanks, again.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Hi Tony - Thank you for the idea to start Word in Safe Mode. I tried this: it
also didn't help. The Clipboard toolbar behaves exactly the same way: it is
always docked when Word opens, and always docked in every Word document you
subsequently open.

Yes, the Clipboard toolbar used to work just fine! And it was a great help
in the work I do. I'd really like to get it back. As I've said before,
probably to most people this seems unimportant, but when you need to go from
one opened Word document to another and make regular use of multiple
Clipboard items, to have it float is really helpful.

This has become so much of a frustration (and source of guilt for taking up
you experts' time trying to help me) that I've thought of uninstalling Word
2000 and then reinstalling it, using the Reinstall option in Control Panel
for Office 2000.

As an alternative, I've thought of trying to install only Word 2003 from the
Standard Edition of Office 2003 that someone gave me four years ago. I never
installed it because I was afraid it would automatically uninstall programs
in Office 2000 Premium Edition that I rely on (PhotoDraw and Publisher).

I raised this question on the MS Office Community Forum, and have gotten
conflicting answers, so I'm still trying to patch Word 2000 somehow.

Again, I want to thank you guys for your generous willingness to offer some
guidance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

A bit of a rambling respone - I'm sorry.

If I remember, the default out of the box is for this toolbar to be
floating, which means that I would expect to see it float when you start
Word in Safe Mode. I think I need to experiment a little but that may take
me a little while (not least to get my wife off the PC where I still have
Word 2000!).

I am interested that you say it is docked in every Word document you open.
Does that mean that, if you have it floating and then open another document,
it is then docked in that document window but still floating in the first
document window?

The Office clipboard is a common Office feature. If you have other Office
applications, Excel 2000, say, how does it behave there?

Although I don't think it should be significant, could you also check you
registry (don't change anything at the moment, just check it) for a value.
The Key (where you have to navigate to in the left and pane) is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Co mmon\General and the Value
(in the right hand pane) is AcbControl. If it exists (and it may not), what
value does it have?

If you have Windows XP or later, can you add a new userid to the machine,
and test Word 2000 under that user to see what happens? You can remove the
user after the test - and take the option to remove all user data, so that
nothing should be left of the test.

I fully understand that you want the toolbar close to hand - a feature that
is important to many people, and which has largely been taken away in Word
2007.

It is unlikely that re-installing Word 2000 will make any difference;
re-installing doesn't change user options in the registry, and doesn't
change anything inside individual documents and templates (including
normal.dot).

You can safely install Word 2003. The only proviso is that you install it
after installing any Office 2000 components you wish to keep (and if you
ever wish to reinstall any Office 2000 components, you must uninstall Word
2003, reinstall the Office 2000 bits and then reinstall Word 2003). When you
install it, you will have the option to update Word 2000 to Word 2003, or to
install it separately and have both versions on the machine side by side.
You are not alone in wanting to keep PhotoDraw 2000, although it is getting
a bit long in the tooth now.

The interface to the Office clipboard in 2003 is different, though. It uses
a 'Task Pane' (a big window, by default docked to the right, but which can
float and be resized). Task Panes were introduced in Word 2002, but in 2002
and 2003 there is just one Task Pane and several uses for it so it is not
possible to keep the clipboard visible all the time. Although I guess you
don't do it, it is possible to interact with the Office clipboard via VBA in
Word 2000 by accessing the toolbar; this option does not exist in later
versions.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Owl1" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Apology and Disclaimer: I want to apologize for the multiple postings,
although not a one is my fault! Maybe it's my dial-up service, but often when
I try to post a reply, I get an error message from Microsoft apologizing that
the post could not be sent and to try again. And so I did!! Not my fault,
period.

Tony,

Thank you very (underline very) for being willing to thinking and write
about this. I do (underlined) appreciate it a lot.

To answer your questions: First, I haven't used other Office programs since
this problem with the Clipboard toolbar began happening, and I hadn't thought
to try it in other programs. I just tried it in Excel 2000, and exactly the
same thing happens the The toolbar appears docked and has to be dragged
with the mouse to float.

Your next question, about the Clipboard toolbar being docked in every Word
document I open: Yes, your interpretation is right: Once I have it floating
in one document and then oopen another, it will be docked in that document
but is still floating in the first document.

I checked the registry as you instructed. There is no AcbControl in the
righthand pane next to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Co mmon\General

The last idea you had, to add a new userid to the computer: Sorry, I don't
know how to do this, and then wouldn't know how to remove that user after the
test. If you think it's worth your time explaining how to do this, I'm glad
to do it. I have Windows XP.

Intuitively it seemed like it would help to re-install Word 2000, and what
you said confirms this.

What you told me about Word 2003 is helpful. I've never used it, and before
I install it would like to understand how Word 2003 offers a Clipboard. If,
as you wrote, it's not possible to keep it visible all the time, I wonder if
it would be worthwhile to install Word 2003 (for me, that is). Is there any
webpage that easily comes to mind that shows what a Tast Pane will look like?
(Please don't go to any trouble to find one if you don't happen to have it on
the tip of your tongue!)

Yes, I do like PhotoDraw. It helped me to design a complex book cover that I
couldn't have done otherwise (PhotoShop Elements was the only alternative I
had).

Last, I don't know enough to know what "interacting with the Office
clipboard via VBA in Word 2000 by accessing the toolbar" means. If (and only
if!) you're not too tired by all this, I'd be interested in knowing what this
means.

I hope this posting will go through without multiple copies! Microsoft needs
to repair something, IMHO.

Thanks again!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are using a dial-up service then you really need to access the NNTP
server directly. Some of the web portals are dreadful, as well as being
painfully slow. See http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm This forum is
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Owl1 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I'm afraid I can't duplicate this and my Word 2000 is crashing (probably due
to a fairly complex setup) so I am going to be guessing - and am running out
of ideas.

Firstly, to set up a new user to test with, do the following

Press the (Windows) Start Button
Select "Control Panel"
Double click on "User Accounts"
Click on "Create a new account"
Enter a name for the account
Press "Next"
Select "Limited"
Press "Create Account"

Press the (Windows) Start Button again
Select "Log Off"
Select "Switch User"
Logon to your new user (it will take a few moments to initialise)
Start Word 2000 (this will also take a few moments to configure)
Check out the Clipboard and note what happens
Close Word 2000
Press the (Windows) Start Button
Select "Log Off"
Select "Log Off"

Log back on to the original user
Double click on the pcture for the user you just created
Select "Delete"
On the prompt "Do you want to keep files", Press "Delete Files"
On the "Are you sure" prompt, press "Delete Account"
Close the "User Accounts" window
Close the Control Panel.

Now, as this also happens in Excel, it seems like an Office, rather than a
Word setting. There is a registry key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\C ommon\Toolbars". I don't
know whether there will be anything there of interest but cn you post here
what values are in that key? It may help, it may not.

Sounds like you don't know VBA so don't worry what I said about the
clipboard. There is a page somewhere on the word.mvps.org website with a
five minute quick guide to VBA, but I can't remember the address at the
moment; I'll try and find it for you - a little bedtime reading if nothing
else

I'll try and find and/or post some images from 2003 if I have some time
later.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Owl1" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Hi Tony -

To the right of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Co mmon\Toolbars there are
three items: Default ("value not set"), AdaptiveMenus (value "0"), and
Customize DlgTab (value "1").

About working with the registry to solve this problem, I found the following
"tip"at http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001518_P...d_Toolbar.html
The tip is intended for people who, unlike me, are frustrated having the
Word 2000 Clipboard appear and float. This fellow's tip is intended to
*prevent* this from happening. He suggests changing the value of AcbControl
to 1 from its default value of 0. Since there is no AcbControl listed in my
computer's registry, do you think it could plausibly solve the Clipboard
problem I'm having by following this fellow's instructions, but after adding
AcbControl, make sure to leave it with a value of 0?
Close Word. You don't need it open to perform any of these steps.
Click on the Start button. Windows displays the Start menu.
Choose Run from the Start menu. Windows displays the Run dialog box.
In the Open field, enter the name regedit.
Click on OK. The regedit (Registry Editor) program is started.
You want to find and select the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Co mmon\General key.
Choose New from the Edit menu, and then DWORD Value from the resulting
submenu. The Registry Editor adds New Value #1 at the bottom of the values
shown in the right pane of the Registry Editor.
Change the name of the new value to AcbControl, and make sure it is selected.
The default value of AcbControl should be 0. With this value, the Clipboard
toolbar is triggered and displayed as normal. To change the value, choose
Modify from the Edit menu. Registry Editor displays the Edit DWORD Value
dialog box.
Change the value to 1 and click on OK. This value turns off the triggering
mechanism used to display the Clipboard toolbar automatically.
Close the Registry Editor.
I haven't added a second user yet, and will do that if you think the above
isn't promising.

Thank you again for your generous help. You're good to give some guidance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Graham - Thanks for your suggestion. My dial-up connection is often
frustrating. I tried going to http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm , but get a
message:

Error 404: NOT FOUND!
Your browser cannot find the document corresponding to the URL you typed in.

I've tried several times. I'd gladly learn how to connect in a better way if
you have any further suggestions.

Many thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of typing in the URL, why not just click on it in the message? If
it's not clickable, try copying and pasting it into your browser's address
bar.

http://word.mvps.org

"Owl1" wrote in message
Graham - Thanks for your suggestion. My dial-up connection is often
frustrating. I tried going to http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm , but get a
message:

Error 404: NOT FOUND!
Your browser cannot find the document corresponding to the URL you typed
in.

I've tried several times. I'd gladly learn how to connect in a better way
if
you have any further suggestions.

Many thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Thanks for those values - nothing there that suggests it is relevant,
unfortunately.

The AcbControl value (as far as I know) simply controls whether or not the
clipboard toolbar displays by default - not how or where it displays..

I'm sorry that we don't seem to be getting anywhere with this. I will be
away from tomorrow till the 17th, but will try and dig further on my return
if nobody else pops up with any answers.

If you want to be really bold, you could try renaming the whole
....\Office\9.0\ key (or even the whole ...\Office\ key) in the registry.
Word should recreate it next time it starts, but it is possible it will ask
for install media (I just can't recall). I still couldn't be sure it would
solve the problem, though.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Owl1" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Suzanne - Before I posted about this, I had done what you suggested --
clicking on the URL, as well as copying and pasting it into my browser's
address bar. And I just tried again to do this. Each time, I get an "Error
404: NOT FOUND!" I have no problems going to other URLs, so believe this one
isn't working.

"Owl1" wrote in message
Graham - Thanks for your suggestion. My dial-up connection is often
frustrating. I tried going to http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm , but get a
message:

Error 404: NOT FOUND!
Your browser cannot find the document corresponding to the URL you typed
in.

I've tried several times. I'd gladly learn how to connect in a better way
if
you have any further suggestions.

Many thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It works fine for me now, and it worked fine for me when I tested it before
I posted previously. I do get http://www.gmayor.com:80/MSNews.htm rather
than http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm (which often happens when I click on a
link in a NG message, but the page is the same.

In any case, if you can't access Graham's page, you can find equally useful
information at http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/...ommunities.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Owl1" wrote in message
Graham - Thanks for your suggestion. My dial-up connection is often
frustrating. I tried going to http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm , but
get a
message:

Error 404: NOT FOUND!
Your browser cannot find the document corresponding to the URL you
typed
in.

I've tried several times. I'd gladly learn how to connect in a better
way
if
you have any further suggestions.

Many thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The web site is working correctly. Can you access my home page -
http://www.gmayor.com and navigate to Favourites where you will find the
link as the first item under 'Other useful links'

"Owl1" wrote in message
Graham - Thanks for your suggestion. My dial-up connection is often
frustrating. I tried going to http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm ,
but get a message:

Error 404: NOT FOUND!
Your browser cannot find the document corresponding to the URL you
typed in.

I've tried several times. I'd gladly learn how to connect in a
better way if
you have any further suggestions.

Many thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Thanks for your reply. I had no trouble today going to either of the webpages
you suggested. Strange, since I had tried several times on different days.
And thank you for giving me the link to
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/...ommunities.htm , which I also look
forward to reading. Thank you for this great help.

manikkhan manikkhan is offline
Junior Member

Arrow

You can drag and dock toolbars anywhere you wish, even vertically ... When word
count counts. You can always calculate word count (plus the ... Stock the
Clipboard with frequently used items. The Clipboard (open it ..... If you would
rather send a Word document as an attached file, and not as the email text
itself