Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geodesic Geodesic is offline

Default Word07 Outline won't properly number

"cmyk" wrote:
Hi Geodesic,
Perhaps you should:
1. be clearer about stating what you're after;
2. pay close attention to the advice given;
3. not misapply the very competent advice you've been given; and
4. stop trying to make out that everyone else is the problem.

I don't see any reason for cmyk to attack me like this. The implication
appears to be that I have not stated my intentions clearly enough, that I
have not paid close enough attention to the advice given, that had misapplied
the "competent advice" that has been given, and that I am making out that
others are the problem when I am suppose to conclude that I am the problem.

Isn't that mature. Doesn't that show both technical competence and clarity
in assessing the problems that I have stated and asked about. I made my
questions clear and they have not been solved. Attacking me is not going to
solve them. It simply appears that cmyk is trying to drive me away so that
the Microsoft crew can claim that they have solved the issues here.

This multilevel outline program and defaults in Word 2007 were poorly
designed, poorly implemented, and I think even Suzanne S. Barnhill is having
problems making sense how they are organized. When I asked about the setting
up of defaults to make sure that the multilevel outlines worked, what to do
if they had been altered in a problematic fashion, and to understand why they
were not working in the seemingly default outlines in the Word 2007 library,
most of this question was ignored. I can understand it if people don't know
the answer, but I don't expect to be attacked for asking the question. While
cmyk and to some extent Barnhill are wasting the time of the list with their
attacks, I have been moving forward on the very questions that I have asked.

To begin with, several authors online point out that the defaults for the
library/gallery list for the multi-level numbering can be retrieved and reset
(in case on removed one from the list library) by locating the ListGal.dat.

Aeneas over at techtalkz.com suggests this solution:
Close Word first. Delete Listgal.dat, which will delete *all* customizations
to list galleries except as noted below and restore all the defaults.

If you have used the Define New Multilevel List command to define new lists
in documents or templates, these will not be affected since they are stored
in the documents or templates.

You find ListGal.dat in the following places:
XP:
....:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\Microsoft\Word\ListGal.dat

Vista:
...:\User\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ ListGal.dat

http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-o...rd-2007-a.html

When he was asked if this was documented in help or elsewhere for future
reference, Aeneas replied that he had never been able to find any such
documentation:
I have never been able to find anything that deals with ListGal.dat. I found
the file when I was trying to figure out what happened to the list gallery
settings, which are no longer in the registry in Word 2007. I then began to
experiment with creating lists and deleting ListGal.dat and even Normal.dotm
to see what happened when I restarted Word. I'm sure at some point there'll
be documentation.

The question remains as to how to customize the multi-level list library,
particularly since half the 'entries' are worse than useless. (Even if one
can customize the entries linked to '(no style)' , then why not have them
work in the first place, knowing that they can be customized in some
alternative way as needed).

If the ListGal.dat default reset is successful, then one may be able to
experiment. I spent the time creating a new list style via the 'define new
multi-level list,' but when I closed Word07, and re-opened it with a new
document, the numbering style I had created was gone. Suzanne S. Barnhill,
MVP simply talked about the rather limited issue of assigning links (once).
Stefan Blom at least raised the issue of creating a template to reproduce the
multi-level list style. Now I tend to think of the templates more in the
context of creating a default style and customization for various routine
documents, styles and customizations that would be routine for the entire
document. For example, if one wrote the same kind of letters to a particular
audience, with the date just so, and the greeting just so, and the signature
at the bottom just so, then clearly one could create a template or a common
format.

But the question of customize the multi-level list library remains, as far
as I can see. One may be already engaged in a document, already well into
adding content and formatting, when one wants to shift from one kind of
outline in the document to another. This clearly would be straight forward if
one could control the multilevel numbering library.

Creating a document with a custom numbering system is rather time consuming
if one can't reproduce it rapidly, in the context of other numbering system
that can be invoked or dismissed at will.

Ideally, if one could create a custom library with numerous custom
multilevel numbering schemes, then it would be useful if this custom
'library' could be distributed to other people, such as students or writers
having to fulfill certain required formats, or who might want to take
advantage of a collection of numbering schemes (not just 1).

So the question remains open - how to assign the custom multilevel numbering
schemes to the library (particularly to replace the essentially broken ones
provided by MS), a library that would be available to any document at any
time, and that ideally could be distributed to other uses, other computers
one might work on, or simply backed up.