Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave1 Dave1 is offline

Default How do I overline a symbol in an equation?

In writing an equation X with a bar over it stands for the mean value of X.
I can underline X but I cant overline it. How do I do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Dave,

There are various ways of doing this.

One way is to us a field coded as {EQ \x\to(a)}. This solution increases the
vertical spacing for the affected line (which you could get around by
reducing the field’s point size).

Another way is to use a field coded like { EQ \o (-,a)}. To achieve the
desired result, superscript the first character in the field and subscript
the second character, which leads to small characters for both (which you
could counter by increasing the point size), but this too increases the
vertical spacing for the affected line …

Yet another way is to use {EQ \s\up6(\f(,a))}. Compared to the other
solutions, this one has the advantage of retaining the character sizes
without increasing the line height. The ‘6’ in the formula controls the bar
height.

In each example, replace the ‘a’ in the field with the desired
character(s) - 'x' in your case.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Dave1" wrote in message
In writing an equation X with a bar over it stands for the mean value of

X.
I can underline X but I cant overline it. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 22-Jul-2006, "Dave" wrote:

In writing an equation X with a bar over it stands for the mean
value of X. I can underline X but I cant overline it. How do I do
that?

Since you didn't say that you were using field codes, I'll assume
you're using the built-in WYSIWYG Equation Editor. Further, I'll
assume you're not using the new equation editor in Word 2007. So, with
those assumptions established, here's how to do it...

I'm not sure how you're underlining the "x", unless you're just using
styled text, since the underbar in the Equation Editor is very near
the overbar. With Equation Editor open, type the "x" (or "X"), then
click on the Embellishments palette. (This is on the top row of
palettes, third from the left.) With the Embellishments palette
expanded, you'll see the overbar embellishment in the 5th row, 1st
column, right above the underbar. Click on this.

If you need a bar over more than one character, you'll need to use the
underbar template, which is on the second row of the Equation Editor
palette, and the 6th palette button from the left. This is the
"Underbar and overbar templates" palette. (If you point to it with the
mouse, look at the status bar -- which is the bottom of the Word
window. The status bar will tell you what you're pointing at.) When
you click the "Underbar and overbar templates" palette, you'll notice
the overbar in the second row, first column. This is different from
the embellishments, because with embellishments, you first type the
character, then click the embellishment. With templates, you first
click the template, then type the contents. When you're finished with
the contents of the template, press the Tab key to exit the template.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On 22-Jul-2006, I wrote:

If you need a bar over more than one character, you'll need to
use the underbar template, which is on the second row of the
Equation Editor palette, and the 6th palette button from the left.

Well obviously if you need a bar over the character, you wouldn't need
the "underbar template". Obviously I meant the "overbar template".
This was probably clear from the rest of the paragraph, but I wanted
to clarify anyway.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm