Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TeresaD TeresaD is offline

Default Mail merge randomly shifting pages

I have a 32 page word 2002 sp3 document that I am merging employee
information into from an excel worksheet, into a new word document. This
creates a 32 page printout (2 sided) per employee (approximately 5000 total
pages). The problem I am seeing is that page 7 is randomly splitting and
putting the bottom of page 7 at the top of page 8. It pay merge 5 employees
correctly, then merge 1 - 3 incorrectly, then merge another 10 or correctly,
then maybe 1 incorrectly, a couple more correct then some incorrect. The
quantities of good or bad are never the same, so I cannot detect a pattern.
Also page 7 and 8 are insurance forms, so they are in table format, one side
is to be english the other is spanish. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

so I cannot detect a pattern.

If you can't, then we have no chance!

But...are you saying that the text splits differently even when the text in
(say) pages 6,7, and 8 is identical? Or are you inserting fields that shift
the text enough to split the page, but you can't see the logic being used to
do it?

If it is the former I cannot offer any suggestions, but if it is the latter
then
a. either each page's text will fit on the page or it won't - in essence,
you have to ensure that it does
b. it will probably be better to insert hard page breaks if you are not
doing so already, and use Format|Paragraph or Format|Style|Paragraph as
appropriate to experiment with the various line and page break options.

Peter Jamieson
"TeresaD" wrote in message
I have a 32 page word 2002 sp3 document that I am merging employee
information into from an excel worksheet, into a new word document. This
creates a 32 page printout (2 sided) per employee (approximately 5000
total
pages). The problem I am seeing is that page 7 is randomly splitting and
putting the bottom of page 7 at the top of page 8. It pay merge 5
employees
correctly, then merge 1 - 3 incorrectly, then merge another 10 or
correctly,
then maybe 1 incorrectly, a couple more correct then some incorrect. The
quantities of good or bad are never the same, so I cannot detect a
pattern.
Also page 7 and 8 are insurance forms, so they are in table format, one
side
is to be english the other is spanish. Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TeresaD TeresaD is offline

I already entered a hard page break between 7 and 8, so it just creates and
extra page, which I can't have.

Pages 6,7, and 8 are not identical. Page 6 contains a memo, 7 an english
insurance form (table), and 8 a spanish insurance form (table). Each fits on
a page, and most of the time it merges properly, so it may be the merge
fields for specific employees pushing page 7 onto the next page. If that is
the case I don't know how to ajust for the random merge field (Employee
information, which will vary in size) that is going to shift it. I guess I
will just have to play with it and see if I can alter the form any without
any noticable difference to the insurance company